This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok failure

I've tried everything I've found to make Amarok not freeze on startup.

-I've upgraded to 1.4.7 (new error, same problem)
    -I've enabled MP3 manually (/usr/lib/amarok/installMP3)
    -I've installed xine, xine-extracodecs, and libxine1-ffmpeg
    -I've deleted .kde/share/apps/amarok/ and .kde/share/config/amarokrc

Nothing works. It still starts up and the hangs with the following console output:

Code:
    kain@IESF-NET:~$ amarokapp
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x79c170 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
    QLayout "unnamed" added to QVBox "unnamed", which already has a layout
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x79c170 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
    QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow
    QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments
        StarManager::ratingsColorsChanged() --> ContextBrowser::ratingOrScoreOrLabelsChanged(const QString&)

kain@IESF-NET:~$

Re: Amarok failure

Are you trying to launch Amarok from konsole?

Amarok is working fine on my system but when I tried to launch it from konsole it gave following error

Code:
    nikhil@Rex:~$ amarokapp
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
     Major opcode: 145
     Minor opcode: 3
     Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
     Major opcode: 145
     Minor opcode: 3
     Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x80981c0 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x80981c0 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
    QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow
    STARTUP
    In the same way I also got error while launching kate form Konsole.

But both apps started successfully.

Comment

Yep. I only started it from Konsole to get the output. The final problem is the same either way.

Comment

Don't know why you are attempting to run Amarok from a console - the application is avaiable under K Menu | Multimedia | Amarok

That said. If you are going to fire up Amarok from a console, the command is:
        Code:
        kdesu amarok
        There will be errors displayed:
        Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
        Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
        kbuildsycoca running...
        kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8097c60 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
        kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8097c60 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
        kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104
        kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)
        kio (KLauncher): ERROR: S
        lavePool: No communication with slave.
        kio (KLauncher): ERROR: S
        lavePool: No communication with slave.
        but Amorak will load. This isn't the preferred way to launch Amarok.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Added:

If you run from a console:
          Code:
          kdesu amarok %U
          you will get fewer errors:
          Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
          Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
          kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8097c80 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
          kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8097c80 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "play_pause"
          Again, Amarok will will start.

Comment

No, no, no. I'm not trying to start amarok from the console. I simply did that to catch any error messages. The same thing happens (ie, the program starts, GUI pops up, but is frozen) either way (from menu, or from konsole w/ and w/o kdesu).

Comment

Okay. Didn't catch that earlier. Guess I need to put on my other glasses! :P

Did you ever have Amarok working properly? In a console, type:
              Code:
              Is any occurrence of amarok showing in the running process list?

Comment

Negative.

[edit]
                I might also note that Xine does more or less the same thing (hang without functionality)

Comment

To both questions? You never had Amarok working? No occurrences of Amarok are running?

Comment

i would try what you did already. (deleting the rc file & .amarok dir). then i would completely uninstall amarok. (a Complete Removal with synaptic is what i mean, its easy to do with synaptic too). then i would try reinstalling it.
                    <br />

Comment

I have (to date of installing Feisty) never got Amarok functional. It comes with 1.4.5. That did the same thing (GUI comes up, then hangs).

Comment

This is the output of the apt:/amarok search:
                        Depends

amarok-xine, ruby, python-qt3, lsb-release, kdebase-kio-plugins, kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1), libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16), libaudio2, libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.9), libgpod1 (>= 0.4.2), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), libifp4, libjpeg62, libmp4v2-0 (>= 2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp), libmtp5 (>= 0.1.3), libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.27-1), libnjb5, libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libpq5, libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.8really3.3.7), libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.5), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.10-1), libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2), libtag1c2a (>= 1.4), libtunepimp5, libusb-0.1-4 (>= 2:0.1.12), libvisual-0.4-0 (>= 0.4.0), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6, libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), libxi6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0), libxrender1, libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)

Recommends kdemultimedia-kio-plugins

Suggests libvisual-0.4-plugins, konqueror | www-browser, libqt0-ruby1.8, amarok-engines
                        If the depends packages are installed then Amarok should be fully functional - mine is - and the results of the apt:/amarok are from my system.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what apt:/amarok does, however, I assume that reinstalling from synaptic should meet all the dependencies required.

Comment

Which version of Amarok are you using?

Code:
                            QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments
                            would seem to indicate different versions of something. I'd suggest checking for updated packages (in Adept: Fetch Updates, Preview Changes (to make sure nothing gets messed up), and then Full Upgrade).
                            For external use only.

Comment

Try this from the command line:

sudo apt-get remove --purge amarok

Then:

sudo apt-get install amarok

The --purge will remove all the configuration files etc.

Mike

http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X