X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Kubuntu on Dell Vostro 1500

Hi,

i checked the Kubuntu forums for results matching my query but it didn't come up with any, so i'm creating a new thread on here.

I plan to get a Dell Vostro 1500 in the next week with Windows XP sp2 installed on it. I'm okay with computers (somewhere between a novice and average) and wanted to know if there are any major problems that i will face installing kubuntu fiesty fawn on it.

I know that some of the hardware might not work properly right away on it, but i want to know if there are any unresolved problems with it? because i plan to use kubuntu more than 90% of the time, and i want it to do everything that XP would do (read/write DVDs, access wireless, Bluetooth transfer, use skype, play mp3s, videos, etc etc)

Do any of you have a Vostro 1500 with Kubuntu installed? what problems did you face?

Or, does anyone know of any problems with the notebook that i should be forewarned about?

I'm sorry for the last minute desperate post, but i was going to get a Dell 1520 before, but apparantly it has a 5-week waiting period before i can get it, so i changed my choice to a similar configuration for good value, and so i ask all the good people over here for some help..

HELP!

Re: Problems with Kubuntu on Dell Vostro 1500

No idea.

It lists the hardware options here... Pretty sure the only major problem would be the wireless card. I'd suggest searching for each one, looking up chipsets, etc.
    For external use only.

Comment

Sound is (most likely) going to be another potential problem, as it appears to be for many laptop users.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

UPDATE:

i've now purchased the Dell vostro 1500, it came with xp sp2 pre-installed on one drive. Now, the problems that i think i'm going fo face are;

> there's this feature (i don't know what it's called) but it kind of lets me watch dvds without actually starting my computer, hence saving battery. I read somewhere that the grub doesn't get along very well with that.

> There's only one drive, and i need to partition it. However, the problem is that although i've done a format on my PC, this is the first time i'm dealing with a laptop and i don't know the whole procedure, for example i know that i'll have to install all the drivers back again, are there any other things i'll have to keep in mind?

- someone suggested using http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php and then booting it with the cd in it, to partition it without re-installing windows but i've heard these partition softwares are usually not a very good choice? suggestions!

> again, i don't think i'll be able to deal with hardware issues (like if sound or wireless card failed) should i just look for some person who knows how to do this, or take the risk and go ahead?

As i said, i'm not a wiz on the computer but can figure soe basic things out, but i don't think i can handle complicated problems!

Comment

Firstly make sure you have disks with your laptop that can restore you original state and install xp if something goes wrong.

Are you wanting to dual boot windows xp and linux or are you wanting to completely wipe away windows and only install linux?

Comment

hi there, i didn't read this post for quite some time..

I want to dual boot with Xp and Kubuntu.. and kept getting the /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off and can't get around it even using the solutions on the ubuntu forums

Comment

Can you give us more information?
              Is this an error you get trying to run the live cd or have you already installed kubuntu and you are getting this error when you try to boot from the hard drive?

Do you know if this is a sata hard drive or an ide hard drive?

Is your xp installation still intact and functional?

and can't get around it even using the solutions on the ubuntu forums
              Can you give any links to what you were trying from the forums that wasn't working?

Comment

Working...
              X