This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft office using wine

Has any one ever tried installing Microsoft office (2000, XP, 2003 or even 2007) on kubuntu using wine.

If yes, did every thing went smooth or were there some issues. I usually like to keep my installation clean, thats why seeking experts opinion before giving it a try.

I like open office. but problem is others don't (including my professors )

Re: Microsoft office using wine

Well -

Running MS Office 97 Under Linux with Wine
    http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007...inux-with.html

Running MS Office 2000 Under Linux with Wine

Running MS Office 2003 Under Linux with Wine

Wine HQ database
    Category: Main > Productivity > Office Suites > Microsoft Office
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
      Has any one ever tried installing Microsoft office (2000, XP, 2003 or even 2007) on kubuntu using wine.

If yes, did every thing went smooth or were there some issues. I usually like to keep my installation clean, thats why seeking experts opinion before giving it a try.

I've used wine and Crossover office for 2000 and XP...word, excel, and powerpoint all ran fine in both, although I preferred using Crossover because it was just "click and run".

I don't have a copy of 2003 to test, so I have no idea if it runs or not. I know 2007 support is a ways off.

I ended up taking Office off my system...I don't use it enough at home to really warrant keeping it around, especially as OOo matures into something that is actually useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
        That you like open office is all that should matter. Your professors don't have to use, so what does it matter that they don't like it?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          That you like open office is all that should matter. Your professors don't have to use, so what does it matter that they don't like it?
          True. OpenOffice.org can save in Microsoft Office formats as well, so they don't even need to know you used OpenOffice.org.
          For external use only.

Comment

The best thing is to get hold of a (recent) version of Crossover Office.
            For serious use of wine this is the choice.

Comment

Anyone else tried Virtual Box lately, for your Windows stuff? It's working great here on Gutsy -- running Win XP in a 1280x1024 window on my 1600x1200 Kubuntu desktop. I like VMWare Player, but it's no-go for Gutsy, so far.

Comment

Using open office word processor to save documents to .doc works fine if the document contains pure test, rest of the time formating gets disturbed if that documents contains some complex elements and you'll open them on Microsoft word also if I'll open a form in OO.org which was originally created using Microsoft word I'll have to reformat the whole form. Situation gets worst while making presentations.

Haven't any one experienced this thing.

Comment

I've used Open Office to work with MS Office created spreadsheets. I've also created Open Office spreadsheet and saved them in .xls format. MS Excel reads those spreadsheets just fine. I can't speak for Word or PowerPoint.

One thing to bear in mind, which may be part of your concern, is the version of MS Office that is being used by the school. Open Office works with versions of MS Office up through version x. So Open Office may not be the solution you need.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                    Haven't any one experienced this thing.
                    Yes. OpenOffice is at best 95% compatible with MS Office. I have done extensive writing in OpenOffice and I agree with the statement that unless you don't care about formatting, then they are not truly compatible. I have used OOo Writer, Calc (spreadsheet), and Impress (powerpoint) to write/present most of my Masters Thesis in, and while the experience was better than writing my undergrad thesis in MS Office, I ran into several problems. Most notably, .doc saving disturbs a significant amount of detailed formating such as autoformatted captions and some imported images. Saving spreadsheets containing graphs as .xls made some graphs appear strange with missing elements in excel. Impress generally did the best job, probably because the formatting is rather simple. Video animations were a no-go however.

My biggest complaint with OpenOffice is that you can't really use it as a cross-platform editor. And this is a HUGE flaw that needs to be addressed. Let me explain: My Thesis (an odt file) was written in Linspire Linux using OOo 2.2. With all formatting, the document was 198 pages. The font was all Times New Roman installed directly from my Windows partition. When I booted into my Windows partition and opened the same odt with OOo 2.2 for Windows, the document was 208 pages long. Where did the extra ten pages come from?? The same version of OpenOffice with the native file format on two separate OS's and the formatting incorrect (spacing doesn't stay consistent). I opened the same document in Kubuntu and it is 204 pages long. Needless to say, on any OS other than the one I wrote the document in, the formatting was all messed up. The problem was quite evident just by looking at the first line of the entire document; the title. OpenOffice in different OS's, renders a different number of characters per line (yes the margins are identical as are the font sets). There is a long standing bug report on the OpenOffice web page about this, but OpenOffice blames it on the operating systems.

Frankly I don't care where the root of the problem lies. If I can't make a simple one page form with some formatting in OOo in Linux and give it to my boss to edit in OOo in windows, then what good is it? Not much. If it messes up each line by one character then suddenly you end up with something that is useless for collaboration. Despite the fact the OOo purports itself to be cross-platform, it really isn't, unless again, you don't care about formatting... [/end rant]

Comment

how about using OOo and print or export to pdf and send the pdf to the nazi profs?
                      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

I tried Openoffice for win, running from the windows installation, with the wine version that comes with a pretty old version
                        of Crossover Office.
                        Worked fine, fast too.

Now I have not tried to compare page numbers but this could solve that problem, if it does not i guess it could be the OS?

(there is Staroffice 8 but that is old now i guess)

Comment

To make a working ***.doc or .ppt file save it as a .doc or .ppt before you start working or typing stuff into the file, with this you should have no errors
                          Communism is an awesome idea, it is just too awesome for humanity

Comment

I'll try that.
                            And this solves problems using files in different operating systems?

Comment

If that works for you, you can change the default document type to MS Word under Tools>Options>General>Load/Save.

Comment

Working...
                              X