X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The module System Services could not be loaded

Hi all

I've tried a web search and a fora search, to no avail. After the last KDE update in Kubuntu, my System Services in the System Settings utility doesn't seem to be working. I've tolerated this for a while but now would like to fix it, partly because I think this might be connected to the laptop booting directly into root command line and not KDE as it used to.

The error this screen displays (see screenshot) is "The module System Services could not be loaded" and suggests something about orphaned control modules and trying to remove modules manually. However, I've no idea where to look for that.

As per this post I have reinstalled kcontrol, kde-guidance and kde-systemsettings via adept, but this has made no difference. Any thoughts? Should I try to reinstall the whole of KDE? If so, what do I choose in adept?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: The module System Services could not be loaded

Ping?

If I can't solve this one, then I'll either move back to Dapper, which seemed to be reliable, or will accept suggestions of alternative consumer-oriented distros that are worth trying. Any thoughts?

Comment

If you're going to do a full reinstall, I'd try Feisty again first. Might've just been something gone wrong with your current install. See dibl's explanation here. While rather silly, something like that (i.e. the occasional bit dropped and not error-corrected) has been known to happen.
      For external use only.

Comment

Thanks SheeEttin, I will give that a go.

As an aside, I've come over to Kubuntu from Windows, and have survived on it for months, but in my view it's not quite there yet (I suspect that's true of most consumer-oriented distros). I've had problems with auto-starting services [this post], printing, battery management, the playback of proprietary media formats (mainly resolved), the simple set-up of a Samba Server (mainly resolved), difficulties with plug-n-play wireless (resolved)...

None of this is Kubuntu's fault, I think; it's more that Linux may have a year or so to go before it's more bulletproof (or the available hardware gets more OS-agnostic).

Comment

Working...
        X