This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound Mixing

I have a Linux splott-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:55:27 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux, with Ubuntu Feisty, KDE 3.5.6.

I am using ESD (for the moment) and cannot get two applications to use the soundcard at the same time.
    All the howtos are for non-K versions and say something about a checkbox that says "ESD mixing" and I don't have that.

I did try the method at the bottom of the page here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/De...gSoundProblems

At the moment I have sound as long as I only do one thing at a time...but I'd really like to have both.

Anyone know what I should be doing? Oh, my soundcard is a generic, recognized, SiS onboard soundcard, I don't need much more.

Re: No Sound Mixing

Look down this page for: Getting more than one application to use the soundcard at the same time

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...8e9a586a007705
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Originally posted by splott
      I have a Linux splott-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:55:27 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux, with Ubuntu Feisty, KDE 3.5.6.

I am using ESD (for the moment) and cannot get two applications to use the soundcard at the same time.
      All the howtos are for non-K versions and say something about a checkbox that says "ESD mixing" and I don't have that.

I did try the method at the bottom of the page here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/De...gSoundProblems

At the moment I have sound as long as I only do one thing at a time...but I'd really like to have both.

Anyone know what I should be doing? Oh, my soundcard is a generic, recognized, SiS onboard soundcard, I don't need much more.
      what are the applications? alsa (basically linux sound system) should use software mixing by default if soundcard (read most ;-) ) doesn't have hardware mixing capability

Comment

I switched it to ALSA.
        No such luck. :/

I can't do any two, as far as I can tell, I've tried various combinations, one always fails.

The two I really would like to do are Java (I use text-to-speech thru the Firefox extension Click,Speak), and any streaming-mp3 player.
        This is how I study best, and it should be possible, it certainly has been in the past.

Any other ideas?

Comment

This is how I study best, and it should be possible, it certainly has been in the past.
          Any other ideas?
          Could something block your soundcard? disable arts? kmenu> system settings> ...

Comment

err....where's that ... go?
            I don't see where I can disable arts....(yes, indeed, I'll try anything. :P )

Comment

err....where's that ... go?
              I don't see where I can disable arts....(yes, indeed, I'll try anything. :P )
              system settings> sound system> remove the checkmark

Comment

Huh, I thought I needed that.

I did uncheck that now. No difference tho, do I need a restart/reboot of some sort?

Comment

Huh, I thought I needed that.

I did uncheck that now. No difference tho, do I need a restart/reboot of some sort?
                  no, can you play your mp3s and hear sound, say in flashvideos (youtube?)?

Comment

As a matter of fact, yes! That must mean something, right??

Comment

Yeah, it means aRts doesn't work for you.
                      If everything works fine without it, I'd leave it as-is. ALSA has more or less superseded aRts anyway.
                      For external use only.

Comment

Um, no.
                        Everything does NOT work fine without it.
                        I have the same d*mn problem I started with.
                        Can't combine streaming mp3 with sound produced thru my java-firefox extension.

Comment

All right then.
                          I'm not sure what to tell you (I don't see this problem too often), but I think the solution is to get aRts and compile it from source.

Shouldn't be too hard with apt-get on your side. "apt-get source arts" will fetch the source from the repos and stick it in the current directory. (You may want to create a subdirectory to make it cleaner.), Then, just go into the aRts dir under the current one, "./configure; make; sudo make install" and it should work fine.

But, as I said, I don't know if that's the fix. Have you looked around in Adept for packages you might need (search for "arts")?
                          For external use only.

Comment

your firefox text-to speech extension blocks the soundcard for some reason probably

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
                              your firefox text-to speech extension blocks the soundcard for some reason probably
                              you could try something like this:
                              http://www.heybuss.us/linux/flashfirefox.html
                              remember to enable sound system (kmenu> system settings> sound system)

Comment

Working...
                              X