This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu open ports

How do you open ports if you are using a dlink ethernet switch and dsl modem?

Re: Kubuntu open ports

Most routers nowadays have an HTTP interface.
    Just access your router's IP address with your browser, and you should be able to figure it out from there. Look for "port forwarding" or anything that looks like it's for gaming over the Internet.
    For external use only.

Comment

also, for router-specific how-tos for a huge amount of programs/games/etc:
      http://portforward.com

Comment

The post says switch, not router. The dsl modem itself may very well have routing capabilities.

I wonder though whether the question is asking about setting up a linux firewall.

jbumgar, have you set up firestarter or guarddog in linux and are asking about this?

If you are, indeed, asking about port forwarding for any routing capabilities on your dsl modem, the techniques would be the same as under windows and you would not need any "linux specific" instructions. These things are, as others said, generally accessed through a web browser interface.
        Can you give model numbers for your dlink box and your dsl modem?

If you are, instead, asking about the linux firewall tell us what you are using to configure the firewall, such as firestarter or guarddog.

Comment

Originally posted by jbumgar
          How do you open ports if you are using a dlink ethernet switch and dsl modem?
          If it is a switch it will not have any routing capabilities. If you have a manual for the modem and it does have a built in router/firewall it should tell you the correct address to connect to it ie:192.168.xxx.xxx. It should then have a web interface to configure it as mentioned above. What exactly is you intention?

eriefisher

~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

My intention is to get amule and other p2p apps to not have a low id. I don't have a manual with the modem which is a Westell 6100. On the firewall side it supposedly is letting all traffic through. There is no way to open ports with this modem that I have found. The dlink switch is a des-1105. But since there is no port forwarding capability with it, as pointed out, that is one less worry.

No, I'm not trying to setup guarddog or any firewall software.

I guess I'll never understand this port forwarding stuff. I fought with it in Windows and read that with Ubuntu/Kubuntu you didn't have to worry about it. Obviously someone didn't know what they were talking about.

Comment

well, by default, Kubuntu 's ports are set up properly and you are in 'stealth' mode. You will need to use guarddog or some config file editing to manually control ports that you wish to use. I am not even sure if *buntu even has the iptables firewall installed by default or not.

btw, port forwarding (which we got on to by mistake) is generally for routers and modems with router capabilities. You are specifying which machine(s) the opened port goes to basically. One of the benefits of a router is you still are quite stealthy when doing this. my old router dies last month, and I managed to buy a cheap one on geeks.com for under 25$ shipped. Well worth the expense in my opinion, for both linux and windows.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to give you a link to a westell 6100 port forwarding page. You need to make sure that you haven't changed port numbers in amule preferences and, if you have, to make adjustments to the port numbers you forward.

The standard port numbers would be 4662 TCP. Having this open is key if you want to have a high id
                There are also additional ports 4672 and 4665 both UDP.
                The 4665 port should always be your chosen TCP port +3. In other words, if you were to change the tcp port to 10000 then that UDP port would become 10003 UDP.

You can change these port numbers in the connection section of amule you can choose the standard client TCP and extended UDP. The extended UDP server requests port shown underneath these boxes is then based on the TCP port as I explained above. When you are forwarding these ports make sure you pay attention to the fact that one is TCP and the other 2 are UDP.

Whichever port you are forwarding you can use that port number for the beginning and end of the global port range and the base host port. In other words the 3 port number boxes will be the same.

Make sure after you have created these service rules that you ENABLE them as shown in the instructions.

You need to have javascript on in your browser to be able to use the web interface to access the modem.

All of this assumes that your linux firewall is not set up and blocking anything.

http://portforward.com/english/route...6100/eMule.htm

These instructions are for emule, but amule should be essentially the same.

If you have questions post back.

Comment

Working...
                X