This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia

What up, guys. I have a problem with my nvidia graphic card. it was working well, until one day it stop showing the display. I usually do not have the problem with the open source version of the driver but for some reason the proprietary driver keeps on giving me problems. What should I do to get the Gui back? I try already to check the xconfig file and do not know what to do. All, helps will be greatly appreciated.

Pookito
    Help
    0%
    Help
    0%
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: nvidia

Umm... There's a few different ways to solve this.
    I guess we'll go with "figure out the problem and fix it". Start it up until you get no X, then switch to a terminal, say "startx", and post what it says.
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by pookito

it was working well, until one day it stop showing the display.
      Hmmmmmmmmmm -- something must have happened that day. It wasn't a kernel upgrade, was it?

Comment

I had a problem where I would install the nvidia drivers and they would function until I rebooted the machine.

If you have been tinkering around with other drivers as well I would install the drivers using this advice I found on the nvnews forums:

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
        * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
        * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
        * the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
        If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
        Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:
        /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Comment

Thanks guys, some how I got it working again. Thanks a lot.
          You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
          Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
          Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Working...
          X