X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toolbar "freeze" after autohide

Have anyone faced this problem before?
    My menu toolbar will not pop up after autohide. This happens occasionally, and I can no figure out what causes it? Is this a bug? Is there a shortcut key to bring it up?
    I am using Kubuntu Feisty 7.04.

Re: Toolbar "freeze" after autohide

Are you referring to the Panel??

When you have it visible, right-click, Configure Panel | Hiding

If under Hide Mode, Hide Automatically is checked, make sure that you also have Raise when pointer touches the screen's checked. You can select where on the screen your mouse pointer will unhide the Panel.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Are you referring to the Panel??

When you have it visible, right-click, Configure Panel | Hiding

If under Hide Mode, Hide Automatically is checked, make sure that you also have Raise when pointer touches the screen's checked. You can select where on the screen your mouse pointer will unhide the Panel.
      Yes I mean the Panel...sorry!
      I have them all checked. The only way to unhide the panel is by restarting GUI (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) leaving the mouse pointer on the bottom of the screen (If the pointer is elsewhere on the screen, panel only stays up a split of a second). Then I can right-click and configure the panel not to autohide. After doing so, I can check the autohide again and it will work for a while, but it is frustrating to do this many times a day.

Comment

Yah...about ever six or eight weeks I have exactly the same thing happen...in the terminal you can type sudo kontrol to get admin rights into the control panel and checking unhide brings it back. It's a pain in the neck to the point where I just forget about auto hiding.

Bug fer shure!

Comment

It's a known problem.

Whenever it occurs to me, I bring up a console, say "killall kicker; kicker", hold the mouse over where it appears (so it doesn't go back down and get stuck), right-click, configure, change a setting, apply, change it back, OK, and it works.
          For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for your replys!
            Since I`m fairly new on linux;
            How can I bring up the console, if the panel is not working? Is there a shortcut key for it so I could try your "tricks"?

Comment

One way would be to install Yakuake. It's in the repositories. It's a nice little console (and configurable, too) that drops down when you press F12. Worth a try, anyway.

Cheers

Lowey
              I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Toolbar &quot;freeze&quot; after autohide

<Alt> F2 will bring up the run dialog...you can type "sudo xxx (whatever app name)" when you can't get to the toolbar...the command line junkies use it all the time instead of bringing up the console itself.

Comment

You should use the run command(ALT+F2) for any gui app. If you need to run it as root then use kdesu rather than sudo.

eriefisher
                  ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

But kicker requires neither.
                    Just Alt+F2, "killall kicker", Alt+F2, "kicker" will do it.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                      But kicker requires neither.
                      Just Alt+F2, "killall kicker", Alt+F2, "kicker" will do it.
                      Saved me! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X