X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Applicatons errors - Segmentation fault

Hello,

My questions are about a problem that sometimes occurs on my computer. The facts are:

When I start the computer all applications runs fine, but after some time the machine is running I begin to receive the error Segmentation fault (core dumped).
    When I restart my computer, everything come back to work normally.

Today this error had occurred with firefox and the gnome log viewer for instance.

First, It is not my first installation of the Kubuntu Feisty, so I guess another install will not work.

As far as I know, this error is provoked by an invalid memory access (I don't know if may be other causes).
    I tried to look at the log files of the system, but couldn't find anything about the error. (Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place).

Another thing, this issue seems to be restricted by the user that is receiving it. For instance, once I executed the centericq program correctly via terminal, but a friend couldn't in the same machine. Now I can execute the firefox as root (using sudo firefox), but I can't with my user.

So it seems something related with the session.

This problem is boring me, because one of the most talked and betest attributes from linux is the stability, and it means that I will not need to be restarting my computer always.

So, I tried to figure out why it is happening but I couldn't .
    Anyone have any clue of why this is going on, and how can I minimize the problem?

Any info about the PC and configurations you think is relevant, please just let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Questions about Applicatons errors - Segmentation fault

Hi,

You should not be getting any segmentation fault errors from the kubuntu software or firefox. Segmentation faults are catastrophic software errors and the kubuntu software is very very stable.

It is possible that you have ram memory problems, there is a program called memtest-try that and see if your ram is ok.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply.

I've executed the suggested test, follow the results:

Code:
       sudo memtest 1g
      memtest v. 2.93.1
      (C) 2000 Charles Cazabon <memtest@discworld.dyndns.org>
      Original v.1 (C) 1999 Simon Kirby <sim@stormix.com> <sim@neato.org>

Current limits:
       RLIMIT_RSS 0xffffffff
       RLIMIT_VMEM 0xffffffff
      Raising limits...
      Allocated 1073741824 bytes...trying mlock...Killed
      I put the size to 1 gigabyte, because my memory size is 1 gigabyte.
      I think it could allocate the memory, so the test was successful, or am I misunderstanding the result?

Comment

You don't want to do it like that.
        When booting, go into the Grub menu, and there should be a "memtest86+" option. Select that, and let it run overnight or something.

You may also be interested in what a segmentation fault really is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's also possible (but less likely) that this is caused by overheating.
        For external use only.

Comment

Hi,

I will do what you told SheeEttin, just to double check it.
          But I realized something interesting.
          This error, "segmentation fault (core dumped)", was happening with and only with the gnome based applications (firefox, GIMP, GAIM...). So it is one more reason that I don't believe it is a physical memory issue.
          Another thing, is that when I restart the computer everything works normall, it just is going on when the computer stays on like one day. So I reboot it and in a period of up to two days it starts again. So, since a restart it come back to works normally again I think it is not a overheating issue.

Anyway I will let it making the memory test and come back with the results. And if someone has any clue, please let me know because I'm lost in this case

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            You don't want to do it like that.
            When booting, go into the Grub menu, and there should be a "memtest86+" option. Select that, and let it run overnight or something.

You may also be interested in what a segmentation fault really is.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's also possible (but less likely) that this is caused by overheating.
            Ok, I made the test for 10 hours and 15 minutes. 32 pass and 0 fails.

Comment

Working...
            X