This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get my DVD and CDROM drives to work

Just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.04 and for some reason my dvd and cdrom drives aren't working. I put a disk in and the mount window comes up then nothing. Went to System Settings/Advanced/Drives and they were both "disabled". Tried enabling them but got the following error message in the attachment. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Can't get my DVD and CDROM drives to work

Hi,

Check your /etc/fstab file-cdrom is normally /dev/hdc it might be an idea to change hdd to hdc in fstab and reboot and see if it works.

Comment

Whoa -- there's a worse problem than that! What's going to happen when you try to use that so-called "Floppy Partition" :P

The floppy drive should indeed be /dev/fd0, mounted at /media/floppy, but that should not appear anywhere within hard drive partitions.

Comment

Hi,

I should have looked at your pic a bit longer. The devices /dev/hdc & hdd look ok but linux appears to have a problem with your dvd as it gives a write protected error. That's obviously no good. Also, the floppy should not be a partition.

You had better print out the file /etc/fstab and put that on here so we can look at it.

95% of hardware works perfectly under linux, but there is always the odd problem-and normally you don't need any drivers-just plug in and linux does the rest-unlike windows where you have install 20Mb drivers for no apparent reason.

I did a quick google and there were a few entries with your problem-but just keep going and you will get it working.

Comment

Mounting read-only is fine, it's a read-only medium.
          In addition to posting /etc/fstab, how about the output of "ls -l /media/cdrom0"?
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X