X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install wine on 64bit kubuntu

Hi,
    I have made the mistake of installing ubuntu 64 bit on my laptop. Now a lot of the stuff that ran on my ubuntu 32 bit on my old desktop is not running on my laptop, not even flash plugins or wine. I am trying to install wine by following the directions on this page:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit#h...6369cfcde97e3c
    The ./configure command worked great. The make command gave me couple of errors. Expected * found ; or something like that. However, make install worked without complaining. But it did not work when I tried to run /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/wine after the installation completed. There is no /emul folder on my computer. Could some one help me please? Maybe translate the instructions from the web page into something that I can understand so I may figure out if I did something wrong. I just blindly followed the instructions. Thank You in advance.

Re: How to install wine on 64bit kubuntu

Umm... Unless you're particularly attached to your current installation, I'd install the 32-bit edition. It's much less hassle.

Also, you say you installed Ubuntu... These forums are for Kubuntu support. Ubuntu Forums is here.
    For external use only.

Comment

Sigh..... Ok I will switch to the 32bit version. But wine is guaranteed to install on Fiesty 32bit right?

Comment

Hmm - it should be . I'm using it.

Note
        You can install wine from repositories. It is a bit older 0.9.33 or from Wine HQ. The latest is 0.9.44.

Links:

Wine HQ
        http://www.winehq.org/

Wine Binary Downloads
        http://www.winehq.org/site/download

Note
        If you don't want to add wine to the repositories:

Direct links to the latest Wine Packages
        http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I don't see it in the add/remove program. I saw something called 'wine configuration' under settings. Is that it?
          I also tried sudo apt-get install wine and I got the following message:
          Package wine is not available, but is referred to by another package.
          This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
          is only available from another source
          E: Package wine has no installation candidate

Please help me out if you have 64bit kubuntu and you have been able to install wine. How did you do it?

Comment

Here's what you need to know -- basically you just add the repository to your sources and then install the package for your 64-bit *buntu:

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Comment

Thank you for your help. I was able to install wine and windows firefox with flash and shockwave. However I can not restart firefox. There is a script on the desktop for starting firefox but the hour glass shows up for 10 second and then disappears. Should I reinstall every thing and try again? Or is there a way to configure wine?

Comment

Well, there is a Linux version of Firefox... It's in the repos, too.
                Though if you must have the Windows version, it's best to go to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/, find Firefox (probably in a Mozilla directory), and execute "wine ./firefox.exe" (assuming you're in the right directory and the executable name is firefox.exe).
                For external use only.

Comment

I do have Kubuntu firefox installed. But most most the plugins do not work with 64 bit architecture. Thats why I want to install Windows firefox.
                  I ran the command from the console and got the following error message:
                  err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
                  Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                  The X11 driver is missing. Check your build!
                  Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
                  The X11 driver is missing. Check your build!

Do you know what this means?

Comment

First, do you have the 64-bit version of Wine installed? How about Firefox?

I'm pretty sure that you can use the 32-bit version of Firefox on 64-bit hardware, by the way...
                    For external use only.

Comment

Here's the script installer for the nspluginwrapper to run 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Feisty. Then you can install flash.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924

Comment

It worked. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                        X