This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WinRAR for linux?

I have a bunch of files that when I was using Windows, I could use WinRAR to extract them. They are split up into *.r01 through *.r48.... With Kubuntu, how can I do this? Rar doesn't do it

Re: WinRAR for linux?

Install the package named "unrar" and you can do it normally through Ark (or by right-clicking in Konqueror).
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

And there are :

Package unrar
      Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. If you want to create .rar archives, install package rar.
      and
      Package unrar-free
      Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. Can't handle archives in the RAR 3.0 format, only the non-free "unrar" package can do that.

Good gui: XArchive - a gtk2.0 front-end for various command line archivers.

Links:

Topic: password protected archives in ark
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084823.0

Topic: 7zip (solved)
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084687.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

You can install too karchiver instead of use ark.

Comment

Using a different GUI archiver, unfortunately, doesn't really solve the underlying problem, which is the lack of the backend utility to handle unrar'ing. You would still need either unrar or unrar-free.

As for unrar vs. unrar-free, the package descriptions speak for themselves. The difference between the two is that the -free version is the free software (as in open source) version while the plain unrar is the non-free (proprietary, but free in price) version.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
            Using a different GUI archiver, unfortunately, doesn't really solve the underlying problem, which is the lack of the backend utility to handle unrar'ing. You would still need either unrar or unrar-free.

As for unrar vs. unrar-free, the package descriptions speak for themselves. The difference between the two is that the -free version is the free software (as in open source) version while the plain unrar is the non-free (proprietary, but free in price) version.
            I only say that you can use karchiver instead of ark, but i don't say that using karchiver you can use rar archives only installing that software. This was ONLY a suggestion of the gui program to use.

Comment

Ok. just clarifying that for the thread starter, since his problem seems to be from the backend part.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

It seems that WinRAR is working fine with wine.

Wine HQ DB
                Category: Main > Utilities > Compression > WinRAR > 3.x
                http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2668

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

So I've installed unrar both versions and tried using Ark. When I open the .rar file, it doesn't display any files. I downloaded karchiver and same thing.

Comment

if you have aptitude installed "rar" and "unrar", then there shouldn't be any problem with ark. Make sure you are extracting the file ".rar" and not ".ro1" etc. It may not work just opening the archive (never tried it), try right clicking and choosing "extract with ark". I've never had any problems. Also make sure it's not password protected (could cause issues, never seen it myself).

Comment

Hi,

you can also unrar just using konsole: cd into the directory of the rar archive and just type 'unrar e yourfile.rar'

Comment

WinRAR w/wine is working 'out of the box" on my gutsy setup but, theres allwas a but, if you do nothing else it unpacks ok. if you bing up a program to the front or let the screen saver kick in it's slow....

I have unrar installed and its murdurosly slow when doing it in dolphin.

i dont want to but i boot back to M$ to unpack

Ted

Comment

Working...
                        X