X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

startup program needs root

Hello all,
    I have a program that I've set to start at kde boot. It works fine, but needs root access to run. I've tried to do it the same way I did xampp, (ln -s and update-rc.d)... but it doesn't work for this. Next I tried adding it the the start up list (Autorun / create new) and that works, but doesn't get the permissions right. I changed my user permissions to all root permissions, and that turned out REALLY bad (had to vi my way to back out changes). I've tried to change my user name permissions to less than 1000, tried visudo, tried nano /etc/group,.. I'm already in the admin group. I've used sudo before the call.

The program is "uberkey". (yes, uberkey... I know)
    The error is "Must be root to run uberkey, you're only 1000."

I think I might have the syntax wrong somewhere and any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone1!!

Re: startup program needs root

Hmm.
    If this just needs a command line, you can create a little script in ~/.kde/Autostart to start it and make it suid root. Make sure that it's marked read-only (i.e. "chmod 4440 uberkey.sh"), so it can't be exploited by any malicious persons. (It's not likely, but you never know...)

If it needs kdesu, however, that's another story...
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: startup program needs root

Originally posted by jandr
      The program is "uberkey". (yes, uberkey... I know)
      Tz, tz, tz ...

Originally posted by jandr
      The error is "Must be root to run uberkey, you're only 1000."
      Depending on the application's structure, adding a "trigger" (launch command) to /etc/rc.local as exemplified in this text could prove sufficient. (The SUID hack I'd use as a last resort, e.g. if the program features a graphical interface.)

Comment

Working...
      X