This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a VNC server (to use KDE)

So I've got the VNC server up and running, but I'm at a loss as to how to get it to run a KDE session.
    When I connect, I have an X server and an xterm, but that's about it. (If that's all I wanted, I'd ssh in.) I can run x-window-manager, kwin, and a few other things, but it's only a half-hearted KDE (and I doubt it's good for my system, too).

I guess the best way to phrase this question would be: How can I start a full KDE session from the command line?
    For external use only.

Re: Setting up a VNC server (to use KDE)

Maybe helpful?
    http://www.linuxtopia.org/HowToGuide...x_Windows.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=259448
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I saw that second page earlier, and followed the directions on it.
      However useful, it still doesn't solve the problem I'm having. There must be a way to start a KDE session from the command line. Who knows the way(s)?
      For external use only.

Comment

Doesn't the KDE session run on the K Desktop Manager, aka KDM? I think when you do "startx" on a Kubuntu system, it kicks off /etc/init.d/kdm which runs the xserver, and then the KDE GUI runs on that.

That's my fuzzy notion of it, anyway.

Comment

Hmm. Well, startx tells me I'm not authorized, and "/etc/init.d/kdm start" says there's already a in instance running (and only root wants to run kdm).

So, maybe that's not the way. I saw something about attaching a VNC server to your primary desktop (i.e. :0), but I've lost it. Any ideas on that way? (Having one desktop to work with would be much more preferable anyway.)

EDIT: Found it again. Though when connecting to localhost:0 (KRDC), it immediately exits ("the connection to the host has been interrupted")--and the server exits too. Huh?! (Edit: Heh. Everything works, for now.)
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X