X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde does not start with kernel 2.6.16

Hi all,

KDE (version 3.5.4 under Feisty, I guess) frozes when I boot with the kernel 2.6.16 and it runs without problems with the kernel 2.6.15.
    Any idea ?
    Help is welcome.

Re: kde does not start with kernel 2.6.16

Their has been alot of issues with the 2.6.20-16 kernel. Sound, USB devices. Search the forum here or Ubuntu forum for the issues. I can only use the 2.6.20-15 kernel also. Shortly after Feisty came out their was a kernel update messed up my USB & grub. I am holding back two kernel updates now and I won't take them just keep using 2.6.20-15. I don't have the time to fix my system after every kernel update. I have no issues or problems my system is running great why bother it.
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Originally posted by linuxwizard
      Their has been alot of issues with the 2.6.20-16 kernel.
      Hmm. Either I'm lucky, or .... I've allowed all notified upgrades (from Adept Notifier) to be performed. I'm using the 2.6.20-16 kernel without any problems. I did have to re-edit my /boot/grub/menu.lst file to add the acpi=off option on each of my (selected) kernel lines, as well as to remove the quite option (I like to see what's happening during boot). Other than that, I had to make not other changes anywhere in my system. All is working as it was before the kernel upgrade.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same here.
        The automatic Grub menu update is annoying, for the same reasons you stated. I keep a backup for when something upgrades.

Couldn't it just guess what it needs from what you already have?
        For external use only.

Comment

Hi all,

I've just modified /boot/grub/menu.lst file and added acpi=off to my kernel 2.6.20-16 line related but without any successful results.

I have to add that I use a restricted driver for my NVidia graphic card. Maybe the problem of starting kde under kernel 2.6.20-16 is liked to that ?

Any help is welcome.

Comment

Could be.
            Is there any reason you need the -16 kernel? You might just want to continue using the older kernel.
            For external use only.

Comment

Hi,
              To be honest, not really. I just execute the updates that my Adept-Updater (Ubuntu) proposed me and I thought that the kernel 2.6.20-16 fixes some bugs and enhances some functionalities or performance stuff.
              Other thing, the refusal of the kernel 's update from 2.6.20-15 to 2.6.20-16 with Adept-Updater signals that some updates are still ready to install (by a flag on my status bar and I would like to get rid of it).

Do you see a solution to that ?

Regards.

Comment

the newest kernel probably only supports some more/new devices.
                So use the "old" kernel if it works for you..
                Kde --you mean X does not start?

Make sure you have nvidia module and other stuff that matches the kernel you use.
                I have the latest kernel I think --no problems.

Comment

Hi all,

I finally found what was the reason of the problem. In fact, it was X11 that did not start because the generic xorg.conf file has been replaced by those updated when I installed the proprietary NVidia driver.
                  Recently, I tried to upgrade from Kubuntu 7.01 (Feisty) to 7.1 (Gutsy) and I had the same problem of starting KDE. I reinstall the generic xorg.conf file from the LiveCD and KDE started without problems.
                  I have now other problems because I tried an on line upgrade instead of full installation from scratch with the LiveCD but it has nothing to do with KDE.
                  Thank you for your help.

Comment

You should review dibl's HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers which deals with Nvidia drivers.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi all,

I installed the latest version of Kubuntu (7.1 Gutsy Gibbon) in place of 7.01 Feisty Fawn with the kernel 2.6.22-14 and it starts without problems.
                      For the NVidia driver installation, I installed it with Adept packages manager without problems as well.
                      Everything seems to be working fine but I would have liked to test this driver without installing Google Earth.
                      Someone has an idea ?

Thank for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by pecorfr

Everything seems to be working fine but I would have liked to test this driver without installing Google Earth.
                        That's an odd "problem" -- why did you install Google Earth if you didn't want it? I've been running Gutsy with an Nvidia driver since it was first released, and still don't have Google Earth installed. You have to choose to install Google Earth -- it doesn't come in automatically.

Comment

Hi,

You're right but, in fact, I first installed Google Earth for test purposes and I noticed that it absolutely needed a driver which was able to make 3D graphical acceleration, like the NVidia restricted driver. I installed it and it worked fine but I realized that Google Earth didn't fulfill totally my needs.
                          Now I just want to check if the NVidia restricted driver recently installed is working fine or not and I'm looking for a software which allows me to make this check.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by pecorfr

Now I just want to check if the NVidia restricted driver recently installed is working fine or not and I'm looking for a software which allows me to make this check.
                            The common "sanity check" for 3D acceleration performance is simply to run
                            Code:
                            glxgears
                            in the console window, and observe the frames-per-second (fps) calculations that it reports. Of course, you must have enabled glx in your xorg.conf file before this will work. That is normally done with the command
                            Code:
                            sudo nvidia-xonfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                            which will overwrite your xorg.conf with the additional enabling lines.

Note: glxgears is NOT a benchmark (I had to say that before someone else did!). But it is a quick and reasonable way to check your 3D performance, and can certainly help you determine whether there is a problem or not.

Comment

Working...
                            X