This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black at Bottom of Screen

I don't know what I did, but I must of installed something my system doesn't like. The bottom of the screen is totally black for about the first eigth of the screen. Also when I open a box it is all black except for the check boxes etc. Since I only know enough about Kubuntu to be dangerous, I'm hoping somebody can give me a hint as to what I may have done or how to fix the problem. I have installed compiz-fusion so maybe that is part of the problem although nothing changed after an uninstall and reboot.
    Ubuntu Edgy 6.10<br />Kwin-Bagira<br />OS-L Icons

Re: Black at Bottom of Screen

I have narrowed down the issue as being related to compiz and avant-window-navigator. I did a clean install and added the componets that I added previously until I got the same effect. With AVN open, the black bar shows up. I am currently using compiz-fusion. If I do a compiz --replace, the screen refreshes and displays coreectly and then at some point, the compiz manager or what ever controls compiz seems to fail and the black band is back. Any ideas?

Comment

Sounds like a fight between compiz and the driver for your video card.

Comment

I am currently using nvidia drivers as instally through Envy. I'm using Envy because it's easier to set up dualview with it rather than editing the xorg.conf to death. I have seen reports of this same problem elsewhere but have yet to find a solution. I'm begining to believe that the issue is with avn and using it in a KDE environment since it has a lot of gnome dependencies.

Comment

Hmmmm -- yes, maybe it's a fight between AVN and KDE, or between AVN and compiz. Blacking out part of the screen is a pretty fundamental incompatibility of some kind.

Comment

Working...
          X