This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows NTFS partition not readable

Sorry for posting so many new posts with new queries. This one is actually very strange;

So i have 4 partitions on my 160 GB hdd and only 2 of them are FAT32, there's this one disc (sda7 with ntfs) which was readable right from when i installed Kubuntu, and i uses NTFS configuration tool to even write to the partition.

There was a power failure today, and as i don't have any power backup the computer went off, and when it did come back on..the said partition (sda7) was visible, but did not get mounted properly or something. Now, i can't even read files on the partition. I tried running the NTFS config tool various times, but nothing happens..Both my NTFS partitions are just not readable any more (they look like folders, and there's nothing inside them). Am i missing something

Help!

Re: windows NTFS partition not readable

Hmmmm, I don't there's a standard "here's what to do after a loss of power & hard crash" procedure. I guess the sarcastic thing to say would be "Pull out your backups and prepare to restore ....!" :P

FAT32 filesystems are particularly subject to data corruption in a crash situation, if anything was being written on them. NTFS should be a little more resilient.

Do you still have a Win XP OS? Can it read those NTFS partitions? If you could boot Win XP, or even Win 2000, you could run chkdsk on them, and maybe learn how bad the data got mucked up.

ntfs-3g is a way for Linux to read and write to GOOD NTFS partitions, but I haven't heard that is is able to do anything for a corrupted one, unfortunately.

Comment

I don't think the data's gotten corrupted at all. i'm on Windows XP right now and it reads the partition perfectly well. It's just not getting detected on Linux. Should i re-mount it?

Comment

Nevermind,

I don't know how but it just detected it and is running perfectly well now.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X