Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Installing Updates Remove All Customisations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Installing Updates Remove All Customisations?

Hello Again!
    The Adept_Notifier icon on my panel shows that I have 117 updated packages available. The list show's updates to OpenOffice.org and many other softwares including update of Kernel version from 2.6.20.15 to 2.6.20.16.

I want to know whether installing these update will remove or change the customisations that I have made in my system (such as the look and feel, mp3 and mpeg support to Amarok/Kaffeine, the docks etc)
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: Will Installing Updates Remove All Customisations?

your custom settings are stored in your /home folder and adept does not alter them in any way
    after a kernel update you may have to reinstall some drivers (e.g. if you have an ati card running the fglrx driver you will need to recompile the kernel modules), but looking at your specs that's rather a remote possibility.
    everything should work just fine

Comment

Thanks for the assurance.
      However, a more basic question has crept in my mind and that is why do I need to install these updates, if my computer is working fine right now?
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Well, after the stable release (late April for feisty) updates normally deal with bugfixes and less with new versions of the programs...
        Now if you are satisfied with the system as is you may just as well keep it and wait for the new stable release of gutsy. I would nonetheless upgrade the browser and mail client (that is if you use something else than konqueror/kmail)

Comment

Not only bug fixes, but security fixes as well. You should definitely upgrade things like running servers, sudo, or other such things.
          For external use only.

Comment

I am convinced!
            I already updated yesterday. Everything is running fine as I see. However, while updating yesterday, I saw a couple of errors like the following (may not be able to reproduce exactly) :
            X Error: Bad device, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
            Major opcode: 145
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            This error occurred for a couple of applications which I could not recollect (this makes me ponder whether there is any log file where all these errors are printed?), however, no problems running the system yet.

Comment

it may be this . also read here .
              but always make a copy of your xorg.conf file BEFORE modifying it

Comment

I have found that if an update includes a new kernel or xorg version it is always worth waiting a couple of days and checking the forums to see if anyone has had any problems with them. It can save you a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Otherwise, you should have no problems at all.

Just my 2c.
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
                X