This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying available frequencies for scaling

Apologies in advance if I've missed something; I'm a recent convert to Kubuntu from being a Windows power user.

I'm using cpufreq to scale the speed of my Athlon 64. I've been trying to edit /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies to allow more control over which frequencies cpufreq uses. However, when I use
    Code:
    kdesu kate /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    then edit the frequencies, I can't save my changes. I get an error:
    Code:
    The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
    file:///sys/..../scaling_available_frequencies
    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.
    I know that my CPU is very flexible with scaling, and I'd like that to be reflected in the frequencies that cpufreq uses. How can I change this?

Re: Modifying available frequencies for scaling

You should not mess with something which was designed to work without user intervention, because if you don't know what you are doing (e.g.: tweak something that is not tweakable), this is how the story goes:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085169.0

The CPU has programmed frequencies and you just can't alter that. If you want lower thermal dissipation, or lower power consumption, or both, there are 2 possible solutions:
    - Use a lower-end CPU;
    - Disable Speedstep/C'nQ in BIOS and manually set the multiplier to a low value.

Comment

Working...
    X