This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocketinfo Desktop

Rocketinfo Desktop is a JAVA based News Reader. I have downloaded a linux version found at the following location: http://www.rocketnews.com/info/RocketLinuxInstall.zip

After several attempts, I have been unable to get this program running under Kubuntu 7.04.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Re: Rocketinfo Desktop

Hmm. Not sure where you found the zip file on that site, but RocketInfo is an 'online' service, and the page states:

No download or installation required. Join thousands of people already using the full featured, versatile & easy-to-use Rocket RSS Reader.
    From their page you simply sign up for an account.

The Rocket RSS Reader is a FREE personal news & information tool that allows you to search, subscribe, read and track content from thousands of RSS & Atom newsfeeds and Weblog sources.
    Create your free personal account today. Access thousands of sources, browse by category, search by name or subscribe to your own. You can even create keyword based RocketNews RSS Channels for news that is relevant to you.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for investigating this topic. The online service that can be signed up for is a scaled down version of the Rocketinfo Desktop program that I use on a Windows platform. This Desktop version, which I still use today, allows for advanced search features which makes my job a lot easier. I was hoping to get this program working in Kubuntu since this would complete a total conversion to this operating system from Windows.

Comment

As for your 'total conversion' to Linux, the one thing that will be helpful, is to remember that "just because it works(ed) in Windows, doesn't mean that it will in Linux."

Some Windoze applications have Linux counterparts, but that doesn't mean that such counterparts are for *all* Linux distros or versions. If you find a Linux counterpart, you must also determine if it will work on the Linux distribution and version you are using.

Generally, the *best* course of action is to search Linux programs that do what you want. Then, when you find one, check in Adept to see if it is available for installation. Some packages will work in Kubutntu, but aren't listed in Adept. Those packages require the activation and/or addition of additional repositories.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X