This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start Kooldock

I installed Kooldock 0.3 from Adept. It downloaded and installed properly (I mean without errors). However I dont know how to start it. Tried various places like system settings and K Control Center, but couldn't locate how to activate it. My screen still shows the old panel.

Also from the previous topics i came to know that the later version (Kooldock 0.4.6) has been released. However, Adept doesn't show the package. How do I upgrade to the later version. In this case, again the first query would arise.
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: How to start Kooldock

Solved the first query myself with help from IRC. It was just as simple as Alt+F2 -> "kooldock" and press return.

Now if someone can help me upgrading it to 0.4.6
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

I am using kooldock with the version that is in adept and quite like it. I have found that if things are working well, leave them at that version until the system updates. That way, I don't have to spend ages fixing something I just broke.

Just my 2c.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

It is important to accept, that just because a package that you have installed shows a *newer* release than you are using, that doesn't mean that that package (the newer one) is available for the release of *ubuntu that you are using.

Bottom line: If it isn't a vailable via Adept (even if you originally got it through Adept) then it likely isn't for your installed version of *ubuntu.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions
          However, Kooldock was very lethargic on my pc (or may be my pc was very lethargic for Kooldock). So I tried KSmoothDock. And I am liking it more than Kooldock (more features and flexibility).

This time too, it wasn't available from Adept. So I downloaded the ".deb" package from kde-apps.org. From one of the topics, I learned that you can install a .deb package just by right clicking on it and selecting "install package" from "Kubuntu Package Menu". It started a terminal like window, asked for the password, and installed the package. And whoa! it is running!

I know you guys would already be knowing the procedure, but just in case a newbie like me is searching for some related info. 8)

Comment

Kooldock is in the repos... For me, at least.
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              Kooldock is in the repos... For me, at least.
              Adept has Kooldock 0.3 in its Repositories. As I mentioned earlier, I was looking for Kooldock 0.4.6
              Originally posted by mistrynitesh
              I installed Kooldock 0.3 from Adept. It downloaded and installed properly (I mean without errors).
              Also from the previous topics i came to know that the later version (Kooldock 0.4.6) has been released. However, Adept doesn't show the package. How do I upgrade to the later version.

Comment

Working...
              X