This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerald Borders Vanished etc...

I had beryl and Emerald working great, until the other day when I played about a bit installing new bits etc and rebooted, at which point, emerald themes stopped loading (windows are not decorated when it is selected and there are no borders at all). I can run Aquamarine as the decorator, however it crashes when I use certain effects such as shading the window.

I've tried to backtrack my changes but now I am completely lost and dont know what to do

Please please help me get it shiny again!

Thanks!
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Re: Emerald Borders Vanished etc...

if it helps, here is a screenshot of what happens on Aquamarine when I try to shade. As you can see, the windows end up borderless, which is how they look currently under emerald also

[img width=400 height=160]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9653/desktop6hl6.jpg[/img]
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Yes, I know that look well!

Can you right-click the Beryl icon, choose "select Window Manager" and then select Beryl? And then right-click the Beryl icon again, and choose "Select Window Decorator", and select Emerald?

When it breaks, it defaults back to KDE for the window manager, but sometimes the decorator doesn't come along for the ride.

Beryl isn't the world's most stable package, as you may know ....

Comment

well Beryl and its effects work fine, its only when I switch it to emerald that the decorator doesnt load. Must have been something I installed the other day that did it as was working without a hitch before just I have no idea whats caused it or how to fix

Comment

Emerald is a package that you can remove and reinstall. Sounds pretty crude, I know, but I dunno -- I have not heard of Emerald failing when Beryl is working. Does glxgears work?

Comment

glxgears? :S not sure about that hehe, pretty new to all this to be honest, not been using Linux a month.

Will upload a little short flick to show the problem and can supply my xorg.conf if required.

(excuse the music in the vid when I upload it lol...)

Comment

vid dl

see if that works

Comment

In a console window, enter
                Code:
                glxgears
                This will exercise the glx function in your graphics driver -- just to make sure it's working. glx has to work for Beryl and it's functions to work.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make your video file play ..... "too soon old, and too late smart"

Comment

ah, kk, well glx gears works just fine, as does ye olde Beryl + effects as you'll see in the vid. You have to have X11 running as decoder in your player to play the file

Comment

try this instead to make it easier

YOUTUBE VID - EMERALD/DECORATOR FAULT

Comment

Wow -- that's beautiful!

But those windows do have their borders! Did you make that before it broke? Or are those KDE borders?

Comment

thats the Aquamarine borders, but notice (though its tough to see in the youtube version) when I go to change to emerald or shade the window, they vanish
                        I just did that vid a few mins ago, I really wouldnt mind my nice shiny black buttonless borders back

Comment

It's not obvious to me what's wrong with the window decorator. If you Google "missing window decorator" you should get 763,000 hits ... too much to look at!

Have you tried running
                          Code:
                          beryl
                          again, in a console window (with Beryl Manager shut down)? Maybe it will give you a clue when it checks your display system.

Comment

will give it a pop though it doesnt seem beryl is the issue it seems, more the decorator... but who knows, will give it a pop.

Would you like me to post the log sir?

Comment

when I type beryl into the console when manager is off, I get this (the original line etc isnt there any more)

Code:
                              beryl: Couldn't bind redirected window 0x120002b to texture
                              beryl: pixmap 0x2600337 can't be bound to texture

Comment

Working...
                              X