This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE acting odd.

I logged in today and my screen is acting strange. Images/text from previous windows are showing up as background images on any new window I start. Konsole just rewrites over the top of previous text. It's just a mess. I have no idea what caused it.

It's pretty much impossible to do anything because everything is just jumbled. Any clue as to how to get this back to being usable would be appreciated.

Re: KDE acting odd.

That does sound strange, but it doesn't sound like a KDE issue, to me. More like video hardware, maybe ...

Can you change to a text console, via Ctrl-Alt-F1, and see if the problem is the same when you are not within the X server session?

Comment

No problem in text mode. It's very strange. If I open a web browser and close it, the next window I open will have a portion of the last web page as it's background. Even though it wasn't visible when I opened the window. It's driving me batty. Everything was fine until today.

Comment

OK, so now we know the problem is limited to "graphics mode" only. Kubuntu uses kdm to run the xserver session, and Ubuntu uses gdm. One experiment that I can think of would be to burn a Ubuntu Live CD, and see if that makes any difference when you boot it. Perhaps any Live CD would work, now that I think about it -- the question in my mind is, is it the xserver or is it the video card causing the problem? So you need to run a different graphics package than the one that is installed, I think, to help get a handle on the source of the problem.

Comment

I was afraid you'd say something like that. I'm pretty new to linux and while I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, I need a shove in the right direction. Or, instruction as the case may be. I'll search the forum.

Comment

What is the video card? Are you using the "vesa" driver or the one for your chipset?

Comment

I'm using an ATI 9700 AIW. I've installed the GNOME desktop and everything looks normal, so I don't know what is going on with KDE. Maybe if I reinstall the KDE desktop that will fix things. Or maybe I'll just stick with GNOME. I'm not biased either way yet.

Comment

Or maybe I'll just stick with GNOME. I'm not biased either way yet.
                Spare yourself from the headache, stick with Gnome.

Comment

If you do decide you want to give KDE another go, you want to make sure you not only uninstall the KDE packages, but also make sure you purge them. Use apt-get from the command line, like this:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get --purge remove
                  Then just list the KDE packages one at a time, the package name not a file name or anything like that, with a space between each, or maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you how to do it more efficiently. Simply uninstalling using something like Synaptic or Adept doesn't give you the purge option I believe, so if it's one of your settings that's causing the problem, it won't clear it up.

When you do this, the console window of your choice will spit back a list of all the packages it wants to uninstall based upon which ones you asked it to remove, and their dependencies, so look over the list carefully and make sure none of the package listed are ones you need for your system to function. It should just be KDE packages, but when installing major numbers of packages and purging them like this, always be extra careful. If in doubt, cancel the action, and look up packages you don't recognize in either Adept of Synaptic, then just resubmit the command (I know in konsole, you just have to hit the up arrow key once to bring up the last command executed), removing any packages from your list if they trigger something else you need to not be removed.

Once you've done this, feel free to use adept or synaptic to reinstall.

That said, your choice to either try to recover KDE or just stick with Gnome really depends on if you just want your computer to work, or if you want to have the satisfaction of fixing it, and having the chance to compare KDE and Gnome. Do what makes you happy, that's part of the reason Linux has so many options, so you can find the right solution for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X