This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu (AMD64), What Anti-Virus software is out there

I have the Kubuntu running on my AMD 64 system. I've looked around for anti-virus software, but have come up dry on what will install on Kubuntu x64.

Any suggestions?

- Abigsky
    Windows Server Engineer by day,<br />Kubuntu junky by night.

Re: Kubuntu (AMD64), What Anti-Virus software is out there

As to the threat of virus's on a *ubuntu installation, you will find this helpful:

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/security#firewallantivirus
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by abigsky

Any suggestions?
      If you're connected to broadband service via a router of some kind, and you've changed the default IP address on the router, you can probably forget about viruses and hackers while you're running Linux. It's a non-issue for the typical workstation user.

Comment

There is Klamav. It's in the repos. But why bother?
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Indeed. There are about four known Linux viruses, one of which was actually effective, but is long gone. Both the virus and the

The only thing you'll get with ClamAV/KlamAV is lag when opening/closing files or other things.

EDIT: And if nobody minds me hijacking this thread briefly, anyone know of a way to convert Apple's MDF to ISO disk images?
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin

anyone know of a way to convert Apple's MDF to ISO disk images?
            hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to get a mpg (mpeg2) file converted to a DVD that will play on a consumer player. Any clues?

Comment

Checkout AcetoneISO

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to get a mpg (mpeg2) file converted to a DVD that will play on a consumer player. Any clues?
                I tried to do the same thing, and I wasn't able. K3b kept giving me errors. I'd read some documentation and play around with ffmpeg and K3b.

Oh, and Snowhog, thanks for the link. It looks useful, but I wish you didn't have to go through several download pages. Also annoying is that they don't state dependencies up front. I had to install a package before it would install, two after install, and one it had to download. Not a good thing.
                (EDIT: Turns out AcetoneISO doesn't support DMGs. For posterity (and users who search (ha!)), I used dmg2img, then mounted the IMG (it gives instructions), and then made an ISO with mkisofs, sample here (I dropped the -V).)
                For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                  Oh, and Snowhog, thanks for the link.
                  You're welcome.
                  Also annoying is that they don't state dependencies up front.
                  Directly from the KDE page my link takes you to:

Dependencies:
                  - fuseiso, fuse-utils, libfuse2, mkisofs, libqt4-core, libqt4-gui, konsole, konqueror, kdebase-bin, kdelibs4c2a,libfuse-dev, build-essential, cdrecord, cdrdao, dvd+rw-tools, p7zip-full, gnupg, coreutils, libglib2.0-dev

FUSEISO sources can be downloaded @ http://ubiz.ru/dm/fuseiso-20070708.tar.bz2

### Ubuntu users must not install fuseiso of official repository since it is old and has bugs ###

Comment

Working...
                  X