Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting to vnc from a windows machine.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to vnc from a windows machine.

Hi,
    I intalled vncserver and ran it on my linux box but I am unable to connect to it from my windows pc. I get the error failed to connect to server.
    Ive done alot of searching, but it seems nobody has a good answer or its too complicating for me to follow. Can somebody help me with this or point me in a good direction?

Re: Connecting to vnc from a windows machine.

HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions - KUBUNTU VERSION
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If it still doesn't work after following Snowhog tutorial, please ask here again, but try to tell us what you are doing, both on linux and windows sides.

Javier.

Comment

In Kubuntu I just use the installed Kfrb as the server. I believe it's built on VNC. From another Kubuntu/linux I use Krdc to connect. There both under kmenu>>internet.

From Windows I use TightVNC. I found it was the simplest to set up and use. I've sometimes connected from my laptop/XP to my feisty box and then to a dapper box I use as a local server, all though remote desktop.

In the how to they mentioned connecting locally. You have to watch this because it's like holding a mirror in front of another mirror, infinite reflections. I found this out by accident when I first tested the connection and selected :0 instead of :1.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

that guide worked beautifully. Thank you

Comment

I'm happy that I was able to be of some assistance. And if not already said, welcome to the Forum! Lot's of helpful people here.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X