X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Amarok 1.4.6

I have installed Amarok 1.4.5
    I know that now Amaarok version is 1.4.6.
    How can I update a latest version of Amarok? No result with Adept manager...

Re: Where is Amarok 1.4.6

You might try here....
    http://amarok.kde.org/

Comment

No need to go far:

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/amarok-1.4.7.php

Actually the latest is Amarok 1.4.7, which was released a few hours ago. So that's what's currently available from feisty-backports.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

For users of Kubuntu 7.04, packages are in feisty-backports available from Adept Manager when you choose Unsupported Updates from the Updates tab of Manage Repositories.
        By default, this repository is not active in Adept Manager. Does unsupported mean that packages available through this repository are 'risky?'
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Did you know that only main and restricted repositories (and their corresponding -security and -updates) are the only ones that are officially (and commercially) supported by Canonical and Ubuntu? All the rest, universe, multiverse, and backports are supported by the much bigger Ubuntu community.

Everything you need to know about Backports: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

(Short answer: Backports are packaged by the same people who make all the other repositories. Don't they deserve some level of trust in that regard? )
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
            (Short answer: Backports are packaged by the same people who make all the other repositories. Don't they deserve some level of trust in that regard? )
            Wasn't intending, in my question, to lessen the value of the people who are maintaining packages in these other repositories.

I always assume there is/was a reason that an available 'choice/option' that exists within any package that is part of the 'official' distro, is by default, not active when installed.

As far as Ubuntu is concerned, I know why the medibuntu repositories are not included (at least within the United States??), but the extra repositories built into Adept Manager, that are not active by default, had me asking "Why?". I'm assuming it's because the available packages one can get from those (repositories) are/have been deemed to not be part of the 'official Ubuntu release' one is running. Is that a fair assumption?

Comment

They're basically disabled by default because they don't want new users getting in over their heads, I guess.
              I have a reason in my head, but I can't quite put it into words.
              For external use only.

Comment

Makes sense, especially since there is no way to know if the user is experienced or 'new to Linux.' So, create the distro to be useable 'as is' for the masses so-to-speak.

"Venture into the water? Please do, but be advised, if you don't know how to swim, then (for your own safety/peace of mind) don't venture in to the deeper parts until you are ready."

Comment

I updated the repositories to include the "unsupported" ones and got the new Amarok, good stuff! I was under the misunderstanding that "unsupported" mean experimental and that's why I hadn't enable them before.
                  Thanks guys!
                  Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought! In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the bootmaker. <br /> -Mikhail Bakunin-, &quot;God and the State&quot;

Comment

Medibuntu: Not included by default because they are not part of Ubuntu. They are a third party project/repository, which Ubuntu can't be responsible for. Adding and using it will be the user's decision and responsibility.

Other official repositories not enabled: There was a time when only main and restricted were enabled by default. Ubuntu believes that the most necessary software for running a complete and free/open source operating system are in main (and restricted). However, as time went on, it became a fact that 1) everyone needed something from universe and multiverse ultimately, and 2) enabling these repositories were a bit of a hassle for most users. And so they started to enable universe, and multiverse, as well as security and updates, by default.

However, not everyone would want to have the latest and greatest for every package. This is why backports and proposed repositories are not enabled by default. They might introduce some level of risk when installing, and some users prefer to keep a very stable machine, while not staying with an old LTS release. So basically only these 2 repositories are not enabled by default since Feisty.
                    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                    X