This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiving Webcam on Kopete

I can send my webcam over Kopete just fine but whenever one of my contacts sends me theirs, I get a blank window. I read this on the Kopete documentation:
    I can't receive any webcam stream from my buddies; what's wrong ?
    MSN webcam support is not NAT-friendly. Check your NAT router and forward the MSN Webcam port to your computer port on which Kopete is listening for webcam (see Configure/Accounts/MSN/Connection).
    But I don,t understand it. What's a NAT router ? What port am I supposed to set the webcam to?

Re: Receiving Webcam on Kopete

First question, do you use a router?

If yes, do you have the documentation for it?
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

No I don't use a router. I've a DSL modem that's plugged directly into my ethernet card.

Comment

Well then a nat router is not the problem. I would check in the connection settings of kopete. Unfortunately I don't use it so I can't give you a "change this" answer but I'll bet it's in the settings.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Well in the settings, the only thing that seems relevant is a checkbox that says "Specify a base port for incomming webcam connections" and then a box next to it where you write the port (currently set at 6891).

I dunno if it might be a firewall problem. . .I haven't downloaded a firewall program from the repositories. . . but that seems like it's the only logical cause >.>

Comment

Well, if you don't have a firewall set up, that probably isn't the problem.

What protocol are you using for the webcam (e.g. MSN, AIM)?
            For external use only.

Comment

I could never get Kopete to work with my webcam, sending or receiving. Black screen all the time.
              Installed aMSN and everything worked. Just FYI, aMSN is not capable of full-duplex, that is, you can't receive and send webcam at the same time. See if Kopete also has this limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                What protocol are you using for the webcam (e.g. MSN, AIM)?
                MSN, mostly. I have some contacts from other protocols but I don't use webcam with them.

I tried out aMSN but I really don't like the interface, I find it really confusing. Webcam works on it though. . . so for now if one of my friends really has to send me a webcam feed, I'll switch to that. But I really would rather be using Kopete.

Comment

Working...
                X