This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does Hibernate work?

Thought I'd try Hibernate because I wanted to use the computer again in an hour but the thing won't boot up. In my WinXP Pro machine, you just hit the power button and it comes right back. How does Hibernate work in Kubuntu? Thanks.

Re: How does Hibernate work?

The usual method (as far as I know) is to write the contents of RAM to disk, then shut down. On boot, it notices there's a RAM image, so it loads that, and you have it in the same state you left it.

Now, you say it "won't boot up". What do you mean by that, when you hit the power button nothing happens?
    For external use only.

Comment

Yeah, nothing happens on the monitor. I can see the computer is running and the CD doors open and close but nothing else. Tried all of the F buttons with no effect. Don't even get the setup screen so I can't get into the BIOS to reinstall if necessary. Is there some way to by pass this?

Comment

Ohhhh, I know what you mean. The old Windows box here does that sometimes.
        I have no idea what causes it, or if there's any way to fix it. (I haven't used that machine in a long time.)

Does it do this every time, or at least most?
        For external use only.

Comment

I've only tried this the one time. If I can't fix it, I guess my only option is to swap out the HDD and start over. Man, Microsoft has nothing to worry about from Linux. This OS is waaaay too unreliable.

Comment

Working...
          X