X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software list

Hi all,

After abandoning Linux after a short try about two years back, I want to give it another try so I can avoid the heavily overpriced Vista. After a little browsing I thought Kubuntu would be the best since it has better hardware support, and an equally active support-forum (very needed I think...)

I've just downloaded the Kubuntu 7.04 CD and ran a test drive using the live-cd-function. After I fixed my keyboard-layout (found the answer on this board) I went ahead and explored other parts of the K-menu.

I have one question though, in the add/remove software section I only see certain programs. I've looked if I could install things like apache and ntfs-3g, but I couldn't find them anywhere. I know compiling from source is not for me (tried it 2 years ago with one or two small programs, I remember hours of error-messages without result...), so is there a way to "extend" the list? I know with SUSE (that's what I ran back then) you could add repositories, is there anything similar in Kubuntu?

Greetings
    n00b

Re: Software list

Have you looked at Adept?
    Click your "K" button, choose "System", then check out "Adept Manager"

Comment

Yep. Don't use Adept Installer (that's what you were seeing), use instead Adept Manager.
      Some prefer Synaptic, which you can get via Adept.

RPMs (SUSE's package system) and debs (Debian's) are very similar, but they handle a little differently.
      For external use only.

Comment

Indeed, that's where all the programs are!

Just out of curiosity, why is there a limited install positioned prominently in the K-menu, but is the more extensive version "hidden" in a sub-menu?

Comment

The developers believe that the "limited" install is easier to use than the complete one.

I somewhat agree. It gives less choices and has a prettier interface. So it could be easier for a novice. But he is going to leave it soon, as everybody needs one or another "not-so-popular" program.

And of course, as I usually repeat, someone that can't cope with choices is not probably going to like OSS.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
          X