This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libstdc++.so.5

I'm kinda new to Kubuntu so forgive me for possibly sounding like an idiot.
    I wanted to install Sunbird in Kubuntu and having done it successfully in Ubuntu using an external script : http://www.techystuff.info/?p=77

I thought it would work the same in Kubuntu, but apparently not. Since the script does pretty much everything for you, I just assumed it worked and when i went to open Sunbird, it didnt work. I tried to open using the console and it told me that I was missing libstdc++.so.5 . So I tried to install that by using the command
    $ apt-get install libstdc++.so.5 but of course it would not let me install it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this file so I can use Sunbird.

My other question is that I am currently dual-booting Ubuntu and Kubuntu with Ubuntu being the primary boot partition. I just updated Ubuntu and Kubuntu using the auto-update program. Now everytime I boot, Kubuntu remains normal but for Ubuntu, Grub 1.5 gives me the option to boot the current updated version and the previous version. Is this normal? If it isn't, is there a way for me to get Grub 1.5 to only show the latest/updated version of Ubuntu to boot? Thanks

Re: libstdc++.so.5

libstdc++.so.5 is the name of the actual file. What you need is libstdc++5, i.e. "sudo apt-get install libstdc++5".
    For external use only.

Comment

thanks

Comment

if you use synaptic, (which i recommend), you can look under "Installed Files" to see what & where the files provided are.
        <br />

Comment

Originally posted by mece
          I just updated Ubuntu and Kubuntu using the auto-update program. Now everytime I boot, Kubuntu remains normal but for Ubuntu, Grub 1.5 gives me the option to boot the current updated version and the previous version. Is this normal? If it isn't, is there a way for me to get Grub 1.5 to only show the latest/updated version of Ubuntu to boot? Thanks
          The /boot/grub/menu.lst contains the boot items. Having the 'older' and 'upgraded' kernel options in the list is normal. If you don't want to see the older kernel option at boot, edit this file (as root) and comment out the kernel line entries you don't want to see.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And if you want to remove old markings:

Topic: HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
            X