This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I Got Windows 2000 on VMware Server to Use USB Devices

My reason for wanting to have Windows available on my desktop is to use Skype with a Logitech Web Cam and to check the ink remaining in my Epson printer. Both of these devices are connected to USB ports. Therefore, this is an essential requirement for me.

After countless hours and frustration trying unsuccessfully to get VirtualBox 1.4.0 to access USB devices I decided to try VMware Server. To avoid any conflicts, I removed virtual box and deleted the directory it created in my Home account.

I installed VMware Server using Automatrix and then installed Windows 2000 Professional. To go from VGA to SVGA with 32 bit colour, extra modules need to be installed. Currently I have the following items installed as shown by Adept.

vmware-server
    vmware-server-kernel-modules
    vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16
    vmware-tools-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16
    xserver-xorg-video-vmware

My installation of VMware Server has my Home account with UID=1000 and Group “Root”.

As super user I edited the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules and after the line “# USB devices” I now have:

#SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"

I commented the original line so that if it fails I can change it back.

As super user I edited the file /etc/fstab and at the end of the file I have:

#none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0

The commented line is that left over from using VirtualBox. The “1000” is my UID given in “User Management – System Settings”. I used “System Settings” > “User Management” to add usbfs to my secondary group.

After all these changes I shut down the system and rebooted. After starting the Vmware server, I selected Windows followed by “Edit virtual machine settings”. On this GUI I added “USB Controller” and then “Sound Adapter”. After selecting OK, I started Windows with “Power on this virtual machine”. After windows has finished setting up everything, which is often some seconds after the desktop is presented, I then selected VM > Removable Devices > USB Devices. I then see the USB devices listed. I select the one I want if it does not have an “x” marked. I have found that there is a limit of two USB devices that can be activated at one time.

I hope others find this procedure useful for getting USB access from Windows running under Kubuntu.

NoWorries

Re: How I Got Windows 2000 on VMware Server to Use USB Devices

Nice try ... but why that complicated?

At least from my experience, the (one) following command ought to suffice:

Code:
    ROOT # echo 'usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0' >> /etc/fstab
    (Further reading, applying analogously)

Comment

Hi UnicornRider,

I had previously tried what you suggested and have retested it on my system. What I find with the fstab line "usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0" is that on first startup, the selected USB device from the VMware window is not mounted. I have to repeat the selection of the USB device by VM > Removable Devices > USB Devices. This is because on the first attempt it fails to stay mounted.

I also require on my system the ability to unplug and plugin other USB devices because of the limit of two mounted devices that exits on my system with VMware. I haven't tested your mount command when I do this as it caused the previous problem.

I also found on the forums that noauto should be used. That also fails on my system. I will be interested to know if your system does what I experience when you do a fresh power-on and startup.

NoWorries

Comment

Actually, I'm using VMware's Workstation - which I mistook for being more or less the same than the (free) Server application you're working with ... lesson learned

Comment

Working...
        X