This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xine-plugin for gutsy

I see there is an xine plugin (mozilla that is) for gutsy. My question is can I use it with feisty?

...and yes I know that there are a ton of plugins for totem or kaffeine or gxine or whatsitcalledxine and that there's even mplayer - well, I hate them all to be blunt ...

Re: xine-plugin for gutsy

xine is available in the Feisty repos -- why would you look for it in the Gutsy repos, if you want it for Feisty?

Comment

well xine is but afaik not the xine-plugin and that's what I'm searching for...

Comment

Hmmmm -- OK, I see what you're after.

There have been some threads in this forum and the Ubuntu forum on the subject of "How to install packages on a computer that is not connected to the Internet." It's not a real pretty process, but that's the method that I think you're going to need to follow -- I don't know it and don't need to. Here's something I found in the wiki -- not directly what you want but gives you a process to consider: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptMoveHowto

I guess if you are willing to risk the waste of a CD and some time, you could make a Gutsy Live CD, then put in the CD while you are running Feisty, then add that CD to your sources, and then IF the xine-plugin package is on the Live CD packages, you could select it to install. Maybe ... it's an experiment I haven't tried. Fix your source list afterward to remove the CD.

However, if your plugin package "depends" on any other part or structure of the Gutsy system, that is not present in Feisty, then you will introduce problems of some kind in your Feisty system. Could be minor or could bork Firefox entirely. Fair warning ... :P

Comment

Thanks mate but I rather wait until gutsy has a stable release! I don't have that much time for a video player thingy... Anyway I tried to install the debian package and it's how you've predicted. I depends on some other stuff which is not present in Feisty -> another indicator for me to wait

But thanks really!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomboy

another indicator for me to wait

But thanks really!!!
            Yeah, me too! Two months to go ......

I was a "testing user" on pre-release Feisty, and put in a lot of time getting things set up early this year. My system(s) are really humming now -- Kubuntu 32-bit, optimized for dealing with my zillion photos, documents, and genealogy app that runs on Win XP under VM Player, and Ubuntu 64-bit, low-latency, optimized for audio-video capturing from old records and VHS tapes. They both run on the same hardware platform. So, I'm waiting until Gutsy is released and folks tell me it's not going to put me out of business for a month, then I'll try a Kubuntu 64-bit installation with the low-latency kernel, and see if I can make that "do everything". I'm looking forward to some fun!

Comment

Working...
            X