This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of a laugh...

Ok, I did the initial breaking myself by installing an updated version of G++ (because the 4.1.2 in Kubuntu is broken). After installing the packages, apt/adept decided to uninstall _everything_.

I tried to install the kubuntu-desktop meta package when it was done, but I got this error:

The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install apt

Wow...thats just like the automated phone message on my old ISP saying that if I had a problem connecting to the internet, I should visit their tech support website....

I reinstalled Kubuntu, still looking for a solution to the g++ 4.1.2 issue, but I figured I would share this funny message...

Re: A bit of a laugh...

It would be funny if it was not tragic. The bad-old "cyclic dependency".

Comment

Yeah, that was in someone's sig here once. Dunno whose, or if it's still there.
      Or maybe it was on Slashdot.

In any case, what's wrong with g++? I have the latest version installed, and I can compile everything I have the source for (all three programs) just fine.
      For external use only.

Comment

Compile an app with the flag -fvisibility-inlines-hidden that uses libstdc++, and you will feel different.

I reported this bug ages ago but couldn't give a why, so they closed the bug saying it didnt exist (bull!)

But now there is a newer bug report that states the exact same thing, but actually has the reason, and they are right, if I remove that flag from my test cases, it compiles perfectly, add that flag back in and it doesn't. Its a problem specific to the Ubuntu modification of gcc and friends.

This was supposedly fixed in 4.2, but apt only has the 4.1.2, so I found some official debs online for a higher version, but they had all sorts of dependency issues, so after the first package, I gave up.

Later I tried to install gftp from Adept, and it uninstalled everything (because they depended on a different version, even though the one installed was perfectly capable)

Comment

Working...
        X