This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mountain or a mole - Problems with Kubuntu

Yep, i think it does help loads. Althought i'm too sleepy to read it properly, but for people like me, screenshots work well

Thanks man/wo-man

Comment

I'm being too much of a pain, but just one more thing..

i had disabled the showing of password characters when i first started but now i find that i need it, and i can't seem to find it anywhere. Help?

Discovered Amarok global shortcuts today, i think it might just be the most brilliant linux advantage, ever. Forget the 'no viruses' part, market linux with this, and we have a winner right here. i think i need sleep now.

Comment

System Settings > Advanced > Login Manager > Administrator Mode > Echo mode?
        That only controls the login screen, though. I'm not sure where it would be if you mean the kdesu dialog or other things.
        For external use only.

Comment

Hi all,

I just came around this topic and I really liked the "Bill in the Box"-solution! I'm thinking about trying to set this up once I have Kubuntu installed. I do have a question though, since WinXP will be running in a VM, will it be able to read/write files to/from my linux-partitions? In other words, will I be able to exchange files between Kubuntu and the virtual WinXP?

Comment

http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....les_with_linux

Comment

Unicorn Rider has told it correctly. I set up a Samba server to do the file sharing thing. Samba thinks there are 2 different computers on the same platform, one of them Linux and one of them Win XP, and so I can move the files from one to the other when needed.

One could reasonably argue that a $50 thumb drive would be more efficient, of course ...

Comment

hmmm, reading the explanaton on penguin.ch there's not much chance a beginner like myself will get the file-sharing running...

Maybe it's just me who wants too much too fast.

Comment

It is not all that difficult. Rider showed me how to do it.
                  First get your vmware winxp running. There are plenty or ways to do that. Depending on what you want to do. My converter link on this thread is one option.

I do have a question though, since WinXP will be running in a VM, will it be able to read/write files to/from my linux-partitions? In other words, will I be able to exchange files between Kubuntu and the virtual WinXP?
                  Winxp cannot read Linux files in the sense that it (normally) doesn't read the format that linux uses.Be it ext3 or reiser. So for you to "share" you will need either a fat32 partition on which your files/data reside (best option) or use your native ntfs/win/my docs file (worst option).
                  If you need help post back with a bit of info on HD size and free space on HD.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan! Will do that, but for now I've got to install Kubuntu first (I was just evaluating Kubuntu and openSUSE and while browsing this board I came across this very interesting option).

I'm going to install it sometime this or next week, after that I'll set up the WinXP VM (I already read the link you posted, and I think that is do-able).

As for the file-system-compatibility: I have my current WinXP (whitch I will intend to convert into VM) loaded with a driver called "fs-driver" (link) so windows is able to read and write my ext3-partitions.

Comment

Working...
                    X