This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox 1.4.0 - USB connections fail on Logitech WebCam and Flash memory

My main reason for using VirtualBox is to use Skype with a Webcam. I am using Kubuntu 7.04 with KDE 3.5.6. The VirturalBox was installed using Automatrix. I have Windows 2000 Pro installed and I have successfully enabled network connection, sound, DVD and also set the display using the guest additions option in the Devices tab on the Win 2K VirtualBox. But the USB side does not work! I have exhausted all avenues in trying to get the USB to work.

I think the problems are software. I checked the Automatrix log and the relevant part in the installation is:

The following NEW packages will be installed:

virtualbox

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 13.3MB of archives.

After unpacking 28.1MB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 http://www.getautomatix.com feisty/main virtualbox 1.4.0-21864_Ubuntu_feisty [13.3MB]

Fetched 13.3MB in 54s (245kB/s)

debconf: unable to initialise frontend: Gnome

debconf: (Unable to load Gnome -- is libgnome2-perl installed?)

debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

Preconfiguring packages ...

Selecting previously deselected package virtualbox.

(Reading database ... 155439 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking virtualbox (from .../virtualbox_1.4.0-21864%5fUbuntu%5ffeisty_i386.deb) ...

virtualbox-puel-1-2 license has already been accepted.

Setting up virtualbox (1.4.0-21864_Ubuntu_feisty) ...

* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]

FinishedFinished

In the above, it seems to be checking for Gnome and I am wondering if this could be my problem. If this is not the case, then I hope the following procedures that I have followed will provide some insight into the source of my error.

I have set the USB devices in the "Settings" option of the innotek VirtualBox window. Also, in the Win2K VirtualBox box for Devices I have been able to "enable" and "disable" the USB connections. For the Flash memory stick I can see the memory and useage but when I try to view the files, the system hangs with the hour glass and I have to exit using the Virtual box. I have found that in a Win2K windows terminal I can list the files. In the case of the Logitech WebCam, it reports that the Webcam is not found or not working properly even when it is enabled. Some times it finds the Webcam but only gives a blank image and promptly freezes the system.

My /etc/fstab entry for the usb devices is:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=666 0 0
    I have tried devmode=664 and that made no difference. The devgid value is my UID value shown in the User Management - System Settings window. After I change fstab settings, I enter: "sudo mount -a" before testing. I also have /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules altered to:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    #SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664"

I would appreciate knowing what I need to do to solve this problem.

Re: VirtualBox 1.4.0 - USB connections fail on Logitech WebCam and Flash memory

Hi,

I had problems with VirtualBox USB connections until found that you need to enable access to the usb filesystem for vboxusers to be able to access devices. I'd VERY MUCH recommend reading section 11.4.6 USB not working in the VirtualBox Manual (which you can download from the VirtualBox website in pdf format).

The problem seems to be enabling permissions in the usbfs in Kubuntu which does not seem to have an obvious way to access the usbfs (perhaps one of the Kubuntu Overlords can explain this better than me!!).

However, in the /etc/init.d directory there is a script mountdevsubfs.sh which seems to be accessible. I modified the "domount usbfs" line in the "do_start () { "section in the "# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work" sub-section.

My line now reads: ....domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700, devgid=1001, devmode=0664,listmode=0644 ........ (where devgid=1001 refers to my vboxusers group ID - yours may be different.

Reboot - and it seems to work - vboxusers can now write to USB devices.

Good luck!

BUT PLEASE do backup the script file BEFORE making changes - just in case you need to back-track if this does not work for you.

I must say I find VirtualBox a terrific product; I use it for very occassionally needed XP programs and leave it running away in the background. I always use the file downloaded from the VirtualBox download page rather than Automatix - again:-read the manual!!

Comment

Re: VirtualBox 1.4.0 - USB connections fail on Logitech WebCam and Flash memory

Thanks for your suggestion. I did the changes but it still is not working. I did find that on the memory stick the double click still hangs the system but by a right mouse click and selecting explorer, the files were listed.

On my system I have the same devgid=1001 for vboxusers. I did try in desperation, changing the devmode=0664 to devmode=0666 in the files mountdevsubfs.sh as well as in fstab. The fstab has "none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1001,devmode=666 0 0". This has not worked . Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X