This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Associating Files

I have been trying to get info on how to associate files with programs, but am coming up dry. I am used to doing it in Win XP but kubuntu is a different thing altogether. Specifically, I am trying to associate .mms files with gstreamer. I know it works, because I had it working in ubuntu, but kubuntu is less intuitive. Why did I change from ubuntu to kubuntu--because I like the KDE desktop more.

Re: Associating Files

Konqueror | Settings | Configure Konqueror | File Associations | Add
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not trying to be difficult--yeah, right-- but I suspect I should tell you I am trying to do it in Firefox.

Comment

Not difficult - informative.

I don't use Firefox, but....

So you are wanting to, in Firefox, click on a .mms file and have it open using gstreamer? Do you have the totem-gstreamer package installed? Do you have the associated plugin for Firefox installed? And probably most important, is it supported in Feisty?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Running Firefox under Ubuntu Fiesty picked up the mms file and recommended GStreamer. I had no problems installing it and subsequently it worked great. I then discarded Ubuntu and loaded Kubuntu instead--frankly, it is not as robust nor as easy as Ubuntu--or maybe it is the KDE desktop. I cannot find a plug in for GStreamer in Firefox--and one was not needed for Ubuntu Fiesty and it worked, like I said, just fine.

Comment

When clicking a link (or otherwise invoking the download dialog), you can choose to open it in an application. GStreamer, in all likelihood, supports opening files in this manner. Just hit "Browse" and type "/usr/bin/gstreamer" (assuming that's where it is), then hit "OK", and it should open.

The next MMS file you try to open won't have "gstreamer" instead of the "Browse" button, but you can hit "OK" and it should open fine. Works for me with KTorrent and torrent files.
            For external use only.

Comment

Plan B (just in case): http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Comment

Working...
              X