This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID! [SOLVED]

Greetings fellow tribes people. I trust you all have been grand. My silence means all is going well.

However, I've a tad of a delima. I've a 90GB HDD and 2 150GB drives.

The boggle. Is there ANY way to setup the 2 150GB drives as a 300GB RAID, and use the 90GB for 'rsyncing' a backup, or have it as a 'redundant' drive?

Or, can I RAID all 3 and just trust my 'backup' instincts to keep an archive?

I've ran Sandra and a couple of other utils, they all say I've an nVidia 400 Ultra chip set. BUT, when I go to install them, they 'boink' saying no chipset found.

I've taken my mother board out and looked,, however there is NO model, or other info.

All I have is this output from AIDI..

My question again. Can I boot to a CD of sorts, setup a RAID, and THEN install an OS and make it thing it's a bigger drive.

i.e. 2 150GB drives, RAID for 300GB. Install OS ON 300GB RAID, and have the OS treat the two as one big drive.

Is this even possible?
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Re: RAID!

Did you mess with LVM? What about dmraid?

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about RAID, but I know the R stands for "redundant", so I don't think you can take two 150 GB drives and make a 300 GB RAID out of them. You'll get a 150 GB (or less) RAID.
      For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
        I don't know a whole lot about RAID, but I know the R stands for "redundant", so I don't think you can take two 150 GB drives and make a 300 GB RAID out of them. You'll get a 150 GB (or less) RAID.
        You can, with RAID 0.

Comment

Well, I have solved the problem in via another solution. I wanted to RAID them before installing the OS, however since I could not find the software for the SATA controller on my board, it was not possible.

So. I bought a 500GB, installed the OS, and RAID'd the 150GB's for a total of approx 850GB of space.

Thanks for the help.
          Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Working...
          X