X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept: Firefox upgrade went South...

Hi All.

Was using Firefox (firefox_2.0.0.5+1) and used Adept to upgrade to firefox_2.0.0.6+1 (using firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386).

The Adept install did not work:

- Did the download (it thought it was 100%)
    - Adept messages given below

- Changed permissions to the .deb file (/var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) so that it could be deleted & downloaded again
    NB changed user to me & gave myself R/W permissions
    - Tried to delete .deb file in order to download the .deb file again.
    - Delete failed
    "rm: cannot remove `firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb': Permission denied
    "

Any ideas please. I am stuck here.

1. I cannot delete the .deb file though theoretically I could?

I have similar problems with all the .deb files in the /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory, despite them having the correct user permissions (well I think so?).

The Adept program is not running. Is something else locking the file??

2. Is there a problem with the mozilla .deb file or should I try another mirror?

Thanks

Andy

(PS Posting this using Konq as my Firefox install is now toast)

--
    Adept Messages during install:

Preparing to replace firefox 2.0.0.5+1-0ubuntu1 (using .../firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement firefox ...
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/firefox/components/libgklayout.so')
    Please restart any running Firefoxes, or you will experience problems.
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_2.0.0.6+1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Re: Adept: Firefox upgrade went South...

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Hello all,
      I just installed Kubuntu and wanted to install firefox.
      As I used to install a software in MS Windows days, I navigated to the download page of the mozilla.org website and downloaded the firefox package from the site onto my desktop folder. Then when I clicked on the zip folder that I just downloaded, it would just open the archives. So I became a bit adventurous.

I started the Adept-Manager from the K Menu, and clicked on 'Fetch updates'. Still I could not find the Firefox package in the list. So I went to the Adept Menu and clicked on 'Manage Repositories'. In the dialogue box that came next, I clicked on the 'third party software' tab --> 'Add' and typed the path to my desktop (where the downloaded package was lying) and clicked OK.

Now began the real problem. Adept Manager crashed and got terminated.
      When I tried to restart it, it gave the following error:

[img width=400 height=176]http://www.kubuntuforums.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_130.png[/img]

When I click on OK, Adept Manager terminates

So I started Konsole and typed "sudo apt-get update"
      However, even there, the following message showed:

E: Type '/home/abc/desktop' is not known on line 46 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

Now what do I do?
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

First, edit the list of repositories in "root mode", e.g. by [Alt][F2] kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the line APT is complaining about. Then, save the file and check the editions by issuing sudo apt-get update to a console.

Next would be to clean up the mess (by sudo dpkg --configure --pending) and, finally, install Firefox from Ubuntu's official repositories: sudo apt-get install firefox ...

Comment

Thanks friend!
          Its up and running...
          Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Many thanks UnicornRider.

The apt-get commands cleaned up the bad Firefox install.
            Good luck.

Cheers

Andy

--

Comment

Working...
            X