X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to setup a socks client in KDE?

Hi folks
    I am seeking how to setup socks client in KDE. I am using net behind proxy (ccproxy software). It provides socks support also but could not find any option to enter my socks setting (172.16.18.1:1080). Plz guide me.
    Regards
    True_Friend

Re: How to setup a socks client in KDE?

Kmenu>>system settings>>network settings>>socks tab?

Is this what you need?
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

A SOCKS proxy? I think that if you set up your proxy in System Settings > Network Settings > Proxy and check "Enable SOCKS support" on the SOCKS tab, it'll use the proxy you set up as a SOCKS proxy.
      For external use only.

Comment

I am confused by socks clients. Dante and one other. Do not know what is there need.

Comment

Ok I have enabled socks proxy but where i give this port 1080 on which proxy server is receiving socks information?

Comment

Proxy tab > Manually specify the proxy settings > Setup. Fill in your proxy server for all three if it supports FTP, otherwise just the first two.
            For external use only.

Comment

I have already assigned manually proxy settings for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP all at port 808. But socks is different on port 1080. Through socks my messengers worked on Gnome but in KDE i could not do this. I have installed Dante client on clicking test it says socks found and initialized but i cannot connect. then i found this on internet.
              http://www.inet.no/dante/FAQ/node7.html
              I setup config file also but in vain. KDE is very complex
              Regards

Comment

Well, are you trying to use a SOCKS proxy or an HTTP proxy? Unless one proxy is set up to use the other (i.e. you > proxy 1 > proxy 2 > Internet), you can't do it like this.

Also, could you describe why you need to use the proxy/proxies, how it should be set up, and (hopefully) the software involved?
                For external use only.

Comment

I have five fields on my windows proxy configuration dialog.
                  HTTP,HTTPS, FTP, Gopher and Socks. First four are operated on same port i.e. 172.16.18.1:808. The last one is operated on 172.16.18.1:1080.
                  Same is the condition with Firefox. Same dialogue and same configuration on windows and on linux as well. I was actually using Gonome a day before. There also proxy settings were same. I simply had to mention HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and Socks proxies. Gaim (the messenger of Gnome) also had an option for socks. I saw yahoo messenger configuration on Windows and there was also a socks V 5 configuration dialogue. Now there is nothing like this in Kopeta or in KDE control center. My messenger communication is certainly through socks proxy and a specific port 1080 but not know how to mention it in settings.
                  Also installed Dante socks client in Test it is saying socks found and initialized but nothing happens. Kopete cannot connect to yahoo etc.
                  much confused on this situation.
                  Thinking to change the messenger but I never liked Gaim as a messenger. :-X
                  Regards

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                    Also, could you describe why you need to use the proxy/proxies, how it should be set up, and (hopefully) the software involved?
                    I am using cable net. The operator is using CCproxy a proxy server software to control the network. He has assigned these settings to all clients. So I have to follow them. Hope it would be clear now.
                    Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X