Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automount FAT/NTFS Partitions (Read-Only)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automount FAT/NTFS Partitions (Read-Only)

Greetings all,

May I suggest that Kubuntu out-of-box, mount all detectable FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions as read-only on start-up. A virtual folder called "Windows Partitions" could be put on the Desktop making the partitions easily accessible to the user.

There is no reason why this function cannot be implemented, and indeed, it should be already. Most new Kubuntu users are coming from Windows environment or are dual-booting. Leaving the partitions read-only means no damage will be done.

I cannot see any rational objections to this proposal myself, and I can see it being very useful.

Re: Automount FAT/NTFS Partitions (Read-Only)

seconded, sounds a great thing, hope gusty has it then
    every day is a gift

Comment

I have been trying to figure out how to get the windows folder in my panel area, but cannot figure how.
      I too am a windows user

Comment

Originally posted by ickie
        how to get the windows folder in my panel area
        To be applied analogously: http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....i#quick_starts

Comment

I'm not sure of the relevance of that. An alternative mounting method?

As long as the partitions are mounted on start-up, I'm happy. I think a Desktop icon would give overall best accessibility.

Comment

Perhaps you should suggest it to those on the kubuntu-devel mailing list.
            For external use only.

Comment

Perhaps you should suggest it to those on the kubuntu-devel mailing list.
              I have a feeling it would be quicker to implement it ourselves on Ubuntu/Kubuntu instead. It would not take a lot of programming. It should not be any difficulty to get this feature into the next minor or major release.

Furthermore, I think it's more of an OS/Distro job to automount partitions, rather than something Desktop Environments should concern themselves with.

Comment

Well, if you want to do it, go ahead. That's the fun of open source.

As for it being an OS/distro job, Kubuntu is a distro, silly. It's an offshoot of Ubuntu (though it's really not a whole lot more than KDE & tweaks).
                For external use only.

Comment

As for it being an OS/distro job, Kubuntu is a distro, silly. It's an offshoot of Ubuntu (though it's really not a whole lot more than KDE & tweaks).
                  Why are you calling me "silly"? Of course Kubuntu is a distro, I knew that. It's more the distros (Kubuntu's) job to set up partition automounting, than it is the desktop environments (KDE's).

I could send in a report, but I'd probably have to register for that mailing list, which as a matter of preference I don't want to do. It will probably not be acted upon anyhow, or not implemented until 6 months or longer. Or they could tell me, what I'm saying is more of a "distro-specific" thing.

It would be a far more streamlined process to just add the functionality within the Kubuntu development team rather than wait for a different software developer to do it/approve it for us.

Comment

Because I thought you thought that Kubuntu was just KDE, or something, and not a whole distro.

Anyway, if you want them to do it, you have to get in contact with them, the best way being the kubuntu-devel mailing list, because I'm willing to bet that most, if not all, of the devs subscribe to the list. You could also try IRC, but there's less of a chance of seeing someone appropriate to this kind of thing. Direct email to the devs would probably be frowned upon.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty
                      I'm not sure of the relevance of that.
                      I thought you were looking for some kind of "access shortcut". That's all (that is).

Originally posted by Ratty
                      An alternative mounting method?
                      Did you take a look at "Gutsy" (the upcoming release 07.10) already? As I know from a desktop system I've set up recently, at least Ubuntu feat. Gnome provides "instant access" even to Windoze partitions right out of the box (never checked Kubuntu 07.10, though - the customer didn't like it).

Comment

Although I agree that win partitions should auto mounted (which I believe they are, you can even define mount points at install) and be more visible and accessible with kubuntu on start up, and this is being discussed:
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=48.0

I am a bit confused.

....mount all detectable FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions as read-only on start-up
                        or

Most new Kubuntu users are coming from Windows environment or are dual-booting. Leaving the partitions read-write means no damage will be done.
                        Which do you want read-only or read/write?

I personally see no sense in the first whereas the second makes perfect sense.

Cheers
                        Fintan
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan:

Which do you want read-only or read/write?

I personally see no sense in the first whereas the second makes perfect sense.
                          That was a typo.. Thanks for point that out.

I meant to say "read-only".

Comment

Working...
                          X