This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kdenlive is alive!

I just now got Kdenlive to actually open and run on my Kubuntu system, so if anyone else is as masochistic as I apparently am, I'll try to help you through "Method Deuxieme", as they call it.

Not that I know anything about video editing -- don't ask why I did this to myself!

Re: Kdenlive is alive!

dibl, not that it has something to do with the topic, but since day one (not very long ago I might add), I've wondered if it's you in the picture
    / Samme<br /><br />- We came to wreck everything! God sent us!<br /><br />

Comment

I have never wondered

Thank you dibl and although I am not masochistic but I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can give.

This has been a slight stumbling block for me for quite a while. I can finally get all my videos on DVD without going the winxp (premiere) path.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

@samme -- THANKS! No, I am old and bald, so I made an avatar that would look the way I WISH I did!

@Fintan -- sure, I'll attempt to help, although there were so many stabs in the dark that I can't be entirely sure which ones actually killed the beast, if you see what I mean.

Here's the high level:

First, I pretended that I could read French (which I cannot) and followed exactly the procedure for the "Première Méthode" here: http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/kdenlive

That did not work, of course. It almost worked -- it put the Kdenlive icon in my Multimedia folder, but when I attempted to open Kdenlive, it put up a "cannot find mlt, show me the path" error, and of course I could never find a viable path -- probably there wasn't one.

Second, I realized that there were later instructions on the ./configure contents for the ffmpeg, mlt, and mlt++ compiles here: http://kdenlive.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

So I modified the "Première Méthode" procedure by using the later ./configure instructions for each module. It was a wonderful exercise -- and it also did not work.

I still had the same "cannot find mlt" error.

Third, I followed the "Deuxième Méthode" on the French site. And, fully expecting failure, I opened Kdenlive and ... VOILA!

All this was on my 32-bit Kubuntu Feisty installation. I really wanted Kdenlive on my 64-bit Ubuntu, with the rest of my audio-video stuff, but all my attempts to do that are resulting in "wrong architecture -- we want i386" errors, so I don't think it's going to go there.

This means my plan to replace Kubuntu 32-bit Feisty with Kubuntu 64-bit Gutsy in October may be in some trouble -- I really want this DVD authoring capability. I did install Cinelerra on my 64-bit system, but it is scary-complex. I don't know if I can stand to try to learn it, nor do I know what it can or can't do -- it doesn't have a great reputation for stability. So, ... I dunno.

HTH! :P

Comment

I'm not old but kinda bald anyway, or beginning to, that sucks
          / Samme<br /><br />- We came to wreck everything! God sent us!<br /><br />

Comment

What about LiVES

http://lives.sourceforge.net/

It's in the repos but I have not been able to get it. seveas could not be contacted?
            ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
              What about LiVES

It's in the repos but I have not been able to get it. seveas could not be contacted?
              GetDeb has it, 64bit as well

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
                Originally posted by eriefisher
                What about LiVES

GetDeb has it, 64bit as well
                Wow, I didn't know about getdeb -- thanks Musta! I'm going to take a look at LiVES once GParted gets done re-partitioning a 200GB disk. One hour to go .... :P

@samme -- just tell the girls that you lost your hair making U-turns under the blanket ...

Comment

Re: Kdenlive is alive! - GETDEB not happening

All attempts to download anything from getdeb are kinda going nowhere -- hopefully it is a temporary problem ....

Comment

Thanks dible. "dieuxieme" worked. I have written the author a little note in french about translating his how-to into english.

Lives looks interesting but i don't have the time to deal with dependency issues today. Maybe tomorrow.

Enjoy the weekend.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Good for you Fintan!

I haven't really mastered Kdenlive, but it works and I have used it to assemble video clips into a sequence. I didn't know how large a file a VHS videotape makes -- one of them is 23GB! So now I've got some other challenges to figure out how to get this stuff onto DVDs.

Comment

Well I just started rendering four TV movie clips into dvd.
                        It is slow but heh I haven't figured everything out yet so I'll just let it run and see what transpires. At least it doesn't hop cpu and ram so I can continue working in the backround

I wouldn't know how many gigs go on a VHS. I have gotten pretty good results squeezing 7GIG onto a 4.7GIG DVD. But that was with premiere on winxp. Never done anything like that with success on Linux.

Cheers
                        F
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have a box of VHS tapes of our kids and family stuff that go back 20 years. When I realized how much space it is going to take, I went a bought a 750GB hard drive to add to my Linux system, just to deal with it.

I'm getting reasonable results from Avidemux for cutting them up into reasonable "clips". Kino also seems to work reasonably. They both crash at times. :P

There's a lot to learn about "key frames" and "intra frames", not to mention file formats -- avi, dv, mpg, etc. etc. I'm totally new to all of this -- in the swamp, I guess.

I haven't attempted to actually burn any of this stuff onto a DVD yet. Is it approximately true that a 4MB .mpg file will end up as a 4MB ISO for the DVD, or is there a lot of change in the file size?

Comment

I have a box of VHS tapes of our kids and family stuff that go back 20 years. When I realized how much space it is going to take, I went a bought a 750GB hard drive to add to my Linux system, just to deal with it.
                            Get yourself a SG box load Linux onto that and be finished before the next iceage

As for mpg's they shouldn't be squeezed more without losing quality but 4GIGs should fit on a DVD I think you can use 3kb for that.

I was referring to dv and avi formats which one can safely compress (convert) to mpg with about 4GIG size.

I don't know if kenlive will do this yet (with out crashing) or some other tool in the linux world. I'll wait untill it finishes its task (10% done now) before I start fooling with it.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Both Avidemux and Kino have "export" or "save as" capabilities, so you can (supposedly) change the file type. I've had mixed luck doing that. Avidemux defaults to AVI, so I have to change it to mpeg (sound + video) to make it keep my captured files in mpg format. Kino has to "import" an mpg, and change the format to dv, and I don't see much reason to do that, since my goal is to simply get the video onto DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                              X