X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google earth

Originally posted by SheeEttin
    I highly doubt it's caused by too much processing. I think it has something to do with graphics use, yes, but not like that.

I'm betting more along the lines of... well, to be honest, I'm not sure. I've had this experience once or twice before, but I can't recall exactly what happened.
    Try just playing around with your graphics, e.g. resolution, refresh rate, but make a backup of /etc/X11/xorg.conf before you do anything.
    I finally succeeded. The underlying problem was the poor graphics driver. I found the easiest way to install the fglrx driver was described in http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide.
    Following that it was necessary to install the Restricted Driver's Manager via Adept and then:
    sudo /usr/bin/restricted-manager.
    Following reboot Google Earth installed without a problem.
    Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Google Earth kills login session

I'm having the same problem: When I start up Google Earth I get the splash screen and then after a short time I see the login screen again. If I start it from a shell I don't get logged out, but I do get a message that Google Earth encountered an error that should never happen! This is on an Acer Aspire laptop.

But get this: I have the same problem running SuSE 10.2 on a homebrew desktop - totally different hardware. In that case /var/log/messages shows that the X server was killed -- nothing in /var/log/messages under Kubuntu.

I had this using the .bin from Google. I tried to follow the suggestion of using the version at Medibuntu and installing it via synaptic, but the installation hung soon after starting up -- and the Details screen showed a license agreement with no obvious way of accepting it.

Comment

Working...
      X