This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAVA apps on KDE+Beryl

I am running Kubuntu with Beryl - everything runs really smooth, except for several Java applications (Gantt Project, DbWrench) where I have problems when resizing window. Basically the window resize while its contents stay the same. ;(

I know it's really a minor problem, but still pretty annoying one. I'd be grateful for any help or ideas.

Re: JAVA apps on KDE+Beryl

There is not much to do in this regard, and Beryl documentation clearly states that there can be video problems, mainly (but not limited to) when an app uses 3D acceleration.
    Remember also that Beryl is far from being version 1.0, and will never be, since Compiz Fusion is the new 3D desktop to be developed.
    But there is something important you said: "Basically the window resize while its contents stay the same".
    I assume it probably happens without Beryl too. If it's correct, then there is nothing wrong with Beryl, it's just that the application doesn't do anything on a resize event, that is, the window which contains the components/objects is stretched but there is no code to move or stretch the contents. You can see it in KSysV, when you maximize or manually resize the window but the contents stay where they are.
    This shouldn't affect any program functioning, but is a bad programming practice to let the window be resized if your program doesn't handle objects positions and sizes in a resize event. I don't know about QT, but wxWindows (no, it's not a Windows-only toolkit) and even Windows API let the programmer remove everything which could cause a resize event if nothing is to be done when it happens. Ex: the minimize and maximize buttons, the window borders which can be dragged.
    Java also has the proper ways to handle resize events, but it's all the programmer's responsability to code the stuff.

Comment

Working...
    X