Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downloaded flash player, extracted, and ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded flash player, extracted, and ???

Well i did all mentioned above, and then I saw a tutorial telling me to:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so

I dont know if the directory is right since it's on my desktop....

What do I do?

Re: Downloaded flash player, extracted, and

by the way, i tried copying the files to the plugin files in mozilla and it said access denied

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-90106.html

Comment

i tried to follow that, and when i get to this command:

sudo gedit /etc/pango32/pangorc

creating the file^, it says command not found.....

I'm on 7.04 Feisty Fawn if it makes a difference

Comment

Originally posted by nooxmystuff
          Well i did all mentioned above, and then I saw a tutorial telling me to:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so

I dont know if the directory is right since it's on my desktop....

What do I do?
          Open a Linux Console and type the command:

Code:
          sudo cp ~/Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so
          This will copy the file you downloaded onto your Desktop to the intended directory.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

cp: cannot stat `/home/people/Desktop/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory

Comment

Originally posted by nooxmystuff
              cp: cannot stat `/home/people/Desktop/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory
              Then the file isn't on your Desktop. When you open Koqueror, where is the file located? What directory from the URL line is showing when you find the file?

Comment

/home/people

then the files name is install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

sorry, i said it was on my desktop, cuz well there's an icon on my desktop for it

Comment

Sorry for the delay - had to attend to business.

The file you are now identifying is not the file you have been instructed to copy into the specified directory. install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz is the zipped file that you originally downloaded. Have you actually extracted this files contents yet? if you have not, then none of the instructions you are trying to follow as to copying specified files (from this zipped file) are going to work.

Comment

sorry i think i gave you the other one i tried before this...

the location is,

/home/people/Desktop/Install_flash_player_9_linux

then in that the file libflashplayer.so and the others are in there

Comment

Just so I know that I'm on the same page, are you trying to follow these instructions:

Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop.
                      tar -xvzf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
                      sudo mv install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
                      sudo mv install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
                      rm install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
                      rm -rf install_flash_player_9_linux

There are cases that plugins reside in /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/
                      - validate if you are using link that is pointing to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ instead of /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
                      ls -las
                      flashplayer.xpt -> ../../flashplugin-nonfree/flashplayer.xpt
                      libflashplayer.so -> ../../flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

Copy libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/
                      sudo cp install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/
                      sudo cp install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/

Comment

dude i dont even know... i just wanna install flash, lol.... im so confused, as this is my second day, and stuff is still not making sense

Comment

Don't fret. All of us were once new to Linux - even Mr. Penquin himself.

I would suggest, as would others here in the forum, that you slow down 'just a bit,' and get used to the system you have installed. Learn how it works. Make notes of what you observe and what you would like to do. Then, begin searching this forum as well as Google. Ask questions before you leap into the deep end. Your Linux experience will be less fraught with exasperation and frustration. Things will go slower, but then as I've always told my coworkers and customers:

"It takes less time to take the time to do it right the first time, than it does to fix it the second time."

Hang in there. Linux is cool, and there are a lot of people out there (and in here) who are willing and able to help you.

Comment

thanks for the inspirational monologue ...... it makes me feel human again 8)

Comment

Working...
                            X