This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help I borked my adept

I was trying to install the drivers for my reatek audio card and my nvidia graphics card and I tried to add a new repository and now I can't access adept anymore whatsoever.

Re: help I borked my adept

You can repair the damage by editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file as root.

In Konqueror, go to /etc/apt and right-click on the sources.list file and choose to Edit as root. Find the repository lines you added and comment them out or just remove them. Save and restart.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well the fact is, I might end up making a bigger mess then I have already since I am not that great at editing source codes, I may end up doing more damage than good. also it doesn't seem to say edit as root on mine, so how do I log in as root since I seem to have a hard time getting permissions as root. Nvrmmd I found where it says it :P.

Comment

Originally posted by kathera_lockharte
        well the fact is, I might end up making a bigger mess then I have already since I am not that great at editing source codes, I may end up doing more damage than good.
        The sources.list file is not code - it is pure text. You'll be able to easily find the entries you added. Then just comment them out (put a ## in from of the line) or delete the lines. It really is simple.

Comment

dibl had me doing this tonight

my first day of linux... im lovin it

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Originally posted by kathera_lockharte
            well the fact is, I might end up making a bigger mess then I have already since I am not that great at editing source codes, I may end up doing more damage than good.
            The sources.list file is not code - it is pure text. You'll be able to easily find the entries you added. Then just comment them out (put a ## in from of the line) or delete the lines. It really is simple.
            ok, well I haven't done that before, I have done batch files in microsoft to run a halo server, but thats about all I know.

Comment

Oh, don't worry about it. It's very easy to understand. You just need to deal with whole lines.

Of course, if I may plug myself, I wrote a nice little sources.list generator script that asks you questions about what you want (and writes out a sources.list). I've attached it to this post.
              Attached Files
              For external use only.

Comment

Looked at your generator. Nice.

Suggestion: This is written to be specific for Feisty. If you modified to ask which release the user wanted the sources.list file for, then ....

That is of course, assuming that sources.list (in /etc/apt) is the same file and location used by other *ubuntu releases. It is at least, for Edgy, yes?

Comment

http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/source-o-matic/

Comment

Yeah, I tried getting it to work for non-Feistys, but I couldn't get all the regexen and such to play nice like that.

As for the source-o-matic, when I started writing this, it was a little less user-friendly and the result was a mess. Unless I'm thinking of something else...
                    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                    X