This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B - Problem Writing CD-R [SOLVED]

I have now a problem with K3b where it goes through with burning the CD's but all I get at the end is a blank CD but I can't use it again anymore; In other word, all I can do with this blank burned CD is to throw it away.

I suspect some misconfiguration (because I touched it for getting access to a NTFS usb hard-drive and I might have touched the cd-rom line at the same time) in /etc/fstab that you can check here; this is the line I have for the cd-rom:
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

It also could be that I have a permission problem to write the cd's but the file I tried to write where from my home folder.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: K3B - Problem Writing CD-R

Originally posted by Xeor
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    Assuming your cdrom is actually hdc then this entry is correct. The fact that you were able to access the cdrom with K3b means it is correct also.

How many files did you burn? Did you actually let K3b finish everything before you ejected the CD? Have you used K3b to burn CDs previous to this problem?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also of interest: Did you verify the written data?
      And how about hardware? Do you know the drive is good? How about that media? (Some CD writers are picky about their media (both the hardware and software parts of the writers).)
      For external use only.

Comment

Does it also happen when you try to write a DVD, and not a CD?

Comment

It's a CD writer, it doesn't do DVDs. It's a laptop.

I did write CDs successfully with this laptop before with Kubuntu Feisty and K3b.

K3b doesn't verify the data as it eject the CDs at the end of the burning process and before verifying the data so it come with an error message saying that it could not verify as it couldn't load the CD. But there is no data to verify anyway, the CD is blank but not virgin anymore.

I only tried to burn an ISO file this time but I also have the same problem with other project whatever the number of files needed to be written.

The laptop I am using is a Dell 5100 with a CD writer/DVD player combo and the media are Verbatim CD-R 52x 700MB.

It could as it had been said that the hardware doesn't like my virgin CDs. I'll try to get a blonde for him to see if he like them :-)

Comment

I downloaded and burned to CD, using K3b, the Gutsy Gibbon .iso file last night. Worked just fine. When the process was finished however, I too was initially presented with a desktop CD icon, that when clicked, opened a blank CD-Rom folder.

But knowing about caches and floppy and CD-Rom drives, I right-clicked and selected Eject. A small window opens that shows, basically, that the drive media is being prepared for ejection - cache data is being written - and after a few seconds, the CD is ejected. Reinserting the CD causes the system to re-read the CD-Rom and the disc it sees. Viola! The CD contains the burned .iso, and I have a Kubuntu Gutsy LiveCD.

Comment

The only similarity was the blank CD.

For you it was a question of refreshing konqueror.
              For me it is a question that when you look at the back of the CD there isn't any physical trace that a CD has been written and this after K3b has ejected the CD. And the "Simulate" is not selected.
              The CD is not usable after this anymore.

Comment

I would doubt that the manufacturer of the CD would make a difference, but .....

When did this problem begin? Right after upgrading, or had you been able to burn CDs after the upgrade, and then .....

Can you read from CDs that have data already on them?

Comment

It would be hard for me to tell if the problem happened after an upgrade or not as I don't write many CDs. I used to be able to write CDs before on this same system. A few upgrade came along between until I bought a box of CDs to write some projects on them and it just didn't work.

I have no problem to read CDs and DVDs.

Comment

Not likely here, but, CDs can be bad from the get-go, just like any other recordable media. Have you tried to burn anything to these CDs from another machine?

Comment

Yes, I just took 5 of them and burned them fine on another PC at work.

Comment

Okay, then we've eliminated one possible cause.

When you fire up K3b, do you by chance get the warning:
                        Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
                        Just in case, verify that you have installed the package libk3b2-mp3

Comment

It is working now:

I have uninstall and then install K3b again and selected speed "10x" instead of "Auto".

Problem solved (or should I say avoided) . It seems like K3b takes the maximum speed of the media into consideration but not the limit speed of the hardware. But again I could be wrong, it's just my theory to explain the 10 CDs left in the bin.

P.S.: I have install libk3b2-mp3 when I reinstalled K3b but that would not make any difference for a .ISO file or would it?

Thanks for all those who spent a bit of their time on this problem to work it out.

Comment

P.S.: I have install libk3b2-mp3 when I reinstalled K3b but that would not make any difference for a .ISO file or would it?
                            No, not for .iso files. The libk3b2-mp3 is required for burning mp3 formats.

Speed. Go figure. My CD/DVD-R/W combo drive has a 'max' speed of 10x, but the media I purchased, is only for 4x drives. That was creating a problem for me burning .iso files from Windoze, but last night, using k3b in Kubuntu, it worked just fine. And that, without changing the speed write setting from 'auto'.

I'm glad that you figured it out. When you get the solution your self, it feels pretty good, yes?

Comment

Yes, one sorted out.

I still have plenty to think of though but that will be for other topics

Comment

Working...
                              X