Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Kontact - without asking for KDE Wallet password...???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Kontact - without asking for KDE Wallet password...???

Is this possible? I have kontact set to open on desktop 2, but I always have to switch there to enter my keyring password...is it possible to make it remember the password?
    Thanks,
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: Open Kontact - without asking for keyring password...

If you are referring to your Kmail POP account password, then with Kmail open:
    Settings | Accounts (under Mail) | Modify (you highlighted account) and ensure that Store POP password is checked.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yeah, that is checked, but the first time I open kontact, I get a popup box that asks for the keyring password. I'm assuming it is because my pop passwords are stored in the keyring.
      mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

sorry, I guess it's actually the kde wallet, not the keyring...
        mm0

Comment

Re: Open Kontact - without asking for KDE Wallet password...

Okay. You will find it helpful to read through the Kwallet manual here

I don't believe you can setup Kwallet to do what you are asking - it would defeat the purpose for which it was designed. Otherwise, anyone who got access to your PC would be able to have ready access to the passwords that you were storing in a Kwallet.

Comment

is it possible to not have kontact store the password in kwallet then? It's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance, but I don't need that much security on my home pc...

mm0

P.S. thanks for helping on this...

Comment

You need to run kcontrol from the start menu's Run Command and look for kwallet settings in Security and Privacy. I usually disable kwallet here at home.

You can also access the kwallet config area if you have the kwallet icon on your system tray

Comment

i've looked in kcontrol and can't find a reference to kwallet anywhere, including in the security and privacy pages. i am desperate to kill it -- kmail has my password stored, but that doesn't keep it from prompting me all the time about kwallet, etc.; very flaky. i want to kill this daemon and all its spawn, but cannot find a way to do it.

Comment

Are you saying you don't have KDE Wallet under Security & Privacy? See snapshot below.
                  Attached Files

Comment

correct. i have "crypto" "password & user account" and "privacy" but no kwallet. nor do i have the kwallet package installed. yet kwallet seems to be running a daemon -- there's one identified among the processes running in the "service manager -- system settings". i believe it is spun off by kded. in fact, now that i look, i see, "KWallet Daemon Module KWallet daemon module for KDED Running"

i want it to die, die, die!

Comment

the package is called kwalletmanager, Maybe it needs to be (re)installed? I think the daemon is installed separately (part of I think kdeutils) from the config applet.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                        (part of I think kdeutils)
                        That and/or kde as both are stated in the description of kwalletmanager. That would make the package a default and there whether the user intended it to be or not. I don't remember myself, ever installing kwalletmanager manually. I eventually allowed a kwallet to be created, and which I'm using. As such, I have a wallet in my system tray. When accessible, the settings within the wallet allow for a check box to Show manager in system tray (if checked). If by chance he did at some point uncheck that box, then no wallet shows in the system tray. How would one then go about activating the wallet to get to settings?

Comment

well kwalletmanager should be installed by default, always has been.

[img width=400 height=280]http://www.claydoh.com/uploads/photos/25.png[/img]

this is what I get when I right click the systray icon for kwallet, and it is also the same config applet that should be in kcontrol.

Have you tried installing kwalletmanager? At least you can disable the kwallet subsystem from there...

Comment

What one could do is put a symlink to /bin/true in the place of kwalletmanager, though I don't know how apps would like that...
                            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                            X