This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need serious help, my monitor is kablugh

Okay, so i'm brand new to linux and i'm using Feisty Fawn 7.04... everything went fine in the install, and it looked awesome last night except i had to fix the wireless......

well i wake up this morning and the resolution is bezerk, the max res is 640X480 and i can't make it any higher.... so now everything is like 50 times the size it should be and its really hard to navigate, specially since this is my first day on linux......

So i think i need to install my driver for my Radeon 9800 pro, but i really don't know what to do since linux needs whatever its called, fdiswrapper or whatever to use windows stuff.... but then again i saw that ATI provided linux drivers, yet the version for my card is only for xFREE86 versions 4.3 and x. org 6.7 6.8 6.9 7.0 and 7.1

I guess mine would fit under the 7.0 catagory since its 7.04, but i really dont know what to do other than click download and hope a nice pretty install comes up....

but i dont wanna mess anything up,

so any of you guys, help would be greatly appreciated....I'm a n00b

Re: Need serious help, my monitor is kablugh

When say "it looked awesome last night", was that after the actual installation, or while you were running the LiveCD (pre-installation)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well both... after install it looked the same... the resolution was cool, but it was slid a little to the right or left off the screen... but everything looked good....

Comment

snowhog.... do you have aol instant messenger by the way? i think i could get better help over that if you'd be willing to chat for a couple of minutes...

i also have yahoo and msn messengers.... so yea

Comment

Neither.

Getting a suitable driver for you video card 'may' be what is required, but I don't have enough knowledge in that area to say so absolutely. The fact that you had a useable, even if off center just a bit (you have a desktop PC system with separate monitor I'm assuming), during and after installation is actually a good sign.

I'm going to suggest; as for now, I'm out of my element; that you do some searching in this forum for your video card. Also, you may want to send a message to dibl - he is a regular here on the forum - as he has been able to help others with initial video issues.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, standard installations don't come with fglrx, which is the driver you'll probably want.
            I'd suggest my script (read the help first, i.e. "./fglrx -h"). That'll help you through installing the driver and will tell you what you need to do.
            If you need additional help (it assumes you know a bit about Ubuntu), just post here.
            For external use only.

Comment

i installed envy and let it install ati... thanks to debl.... but i still can't change the screen resolution any...

although i have gotten into xorg.conf - kate and see the 640x480 write-ins... could i just change those to 1280x768? or would that be too easy?

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              Well, standard installations don't come with fglrx, which is the driver you'll probably want.
              I'd suggest my script (read the help first, i.e. "./fglrx -h"). That'll help you through installing the driver and will tell you what you need to do.
              If you need additional help (it assumes you know a bit about Ubuntu), just post here.

Comment

No, that'd be too easy. Computers don't work like that. :P

The easiest thing to do would be to execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", which will ask you questions about desired resolutions, video drivers, etc. If you don't know what to set, the defaults are usually pretty safe.
                For external use only.

Comment

Okay, that was good info.... i'm a little stuck tho.... it gets to a part about specifying the physical adresses of the video cards if you have multiple video deivices... but i only have one, so i scroll down, and it shows an example and then like says for users of multi head systems you have to do it more than once.... and then its like says ok, and i click enter....

but nothing happens.... i dont know if its stuck or i was supposed to type something up....

i think i'll retry, but i think i'll get stuck here again

Comment

Hm.
                    Well, you can find out which device your card is by executing "lspci", finding your card, and looking at the value on the left if you need to specify it manually. Mine is 01:00.0, for example.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Well my screen is normal now... thanks to debl.... hahah thanks tho....

I'm still havin trouble with beryl.....blegh

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                      Hm.
                      Well, you can find out which device your card is by executing "lspci", finding your card, and looking at the value on the left if you need to specify it manually. Mine is 01:00.0, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by nooxmystuff

I'm still havin trouble with beryl.....blegh
                        noox, don't try Beryl before Day 3 of your Linux experience!

OK, seriously, there's a couple of things you should do before launching Beryl.

1. Check your glx capability by running (in a konsole window)
                        Code:
                        glxgears
                        Make sure there is a reported frame rate (fps) figure in hundreds of fps, as well as the visible gears.

2. In a console window, run
                        Code:
                        beryl
                        and it will tell you if it finds any issues with your video/display setup.

3. Install the Beryl and Beryl Manager packages from the repo (using Adept).

Let us know how you fare!

Comment

Working...
                        X