X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unmounting partitions

Hello all,

I tried to unmount some partitions (that Kubuntu 7.04 auto-mounted during the installation) via kdesu-->Konqueror but the attempts were not successful due to "file /media/hal-mtab could not be opened": I found just an hidden file "hal-mtab-lock" in the directory, so as of now I haven't been able to unmount the partitions.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Re: Unmounting partitions

What partitions are you trying/wanting to unmount?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm... I have a "/media/.hal-mtab" file. It is empty. I suspect that's because I don't have any extra devices connected, though...
      Try just creating an empty one (e.g. right-click > new > text document, name it ".hal-mtab"). That may fix it.

EDIT: Or it may be permissions... If you hold your cursor over the icon (if it exists), you should see something reading "-rw-r--r--". Should see at least three Rs.
      For external use only.

Comment

Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer

The .hal-mtab and .hal-mtab-lock files are created as required by the system. They exist for a reason.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          What partitions are you trying/wanting to unmount?
          I am trying to unmount a NTFS partition with Win2k and a Fat32 with data, both placed on the same hd.
          Actually the .hal-mtab file didn't exist in the directory /media (instead there is a .hal-mtab-locked).

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Hmm... I have a "/media/.hal-mtab" file. It is empty. I suspect that's because I don't have any extra devices connected, though...
            Try just creating an empty one (e.g. right-click > new > text document, name it ".hal-mtab"). That may fix it.

EDIT: Or it may be permissions... If you hold your cursor over the icon (if it exists), you should see something reading "-rw-r--r--". Should see at least three Rs.
            I tried creating a new one, but as it was empty the system thought there was no partition to unmount.
            As for permissions I read: --wS--s--T

Actually I don't understand what does mean "locked" file (maybe I need to post on newbie section

Comment

Originally posted by kubuser
              Actually the .hal-mtab file didn't exist in the directory /media (instead there is a .hal-mtab-locked).
              Which means that, metaphorically speaking, the lock file has outlived the file to be locked ...
              Therefore, in "root mode", you'll have to remove the stale lock, then unmount the partitions:

Code:
              sudo rm -i /media/.hal-mtab-lock
              sudo umount /media/[whatever]
              Originally posted by kubuser
              I don't understand what does mean "locked" file
              The idea: http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....dot_lock_files

Comment

Thank you

I made a last attempt with the GUI and instead of using Konqueror I tried to unmount via the Setting Manager in admin mode and it was successful

Comment

Working...
                X