X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runnin beryl without XGL/AIGLX

Hi,

I'm kinda new to to Linux and Kubuntu and i couldn't seem to find any info about this.

So is it ok to run beryl without XGL/AIGLX on Kubuntu 7.04 i don't seem to have any problems but just to make sure .

Thanks in advance!

Re: Runnin beryl without XGL/AIGLX

Are you saying that you have Beryl installed and fully functioning, or are you inquiring because you don't have XGL/AIGLX support installed?

Press Alt+F2 and type in the command glxgears and hit enter. Do you get a window with three 3-D rotating gears?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Are you saying that you have Beryl installed and fully functioning, or are you inquiring because you don't have XGL/AIGLX support installed?

Press Alt+F2 and type in the command glxgears and hit enter. Do you get a window with three 3-D rotating gears?
      I have beryl installed and fully functioning i was just wondering if i need XGL anyway?

Edit: Yes i get the rotating gears

Comment

Then your system is good to go. Your video board/chip and driver support 3D rendering, so you don't need the XGL/AIGLX support drivers. So you were able to install Beryl and had it working without any additional tweaking required? Congratulations.

Happy Beryling!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the fast reply!

Comment

If you have a nvidia card, the version 100 and above drivers already do direct rendering, thus you don't need AIGLX (which is already present in xorg anyway) or XGL (which can rest in peace now, AIGLX is far better).

Comment

I hate my ATI card...
              For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                I hate my ATI card...
                Desktop PC? Think of the people who have laptops and have video compatibility problems! A few hundred dollars (?) for a compatible video card sure beats several thousand (+/-) for a new laptop. :P

Comment

From AcceleratedX
                  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AcceleratedX

To enable X.Org 3D acceleration by default on all supported video boards, on Ubuntu Feisty. There are two basic use cases for this: either the video board is automatically supported, without any extra options added to the X.Org configuration file, or this support needs to be explicitly enabled, via extra options, in a whitelist of video boards.

In addition to the statement above, all video boards which are known for having problems with either Composite or 3D acceleration will have 3D support explicitly disabled, via a blacklist.
                  and

from Ubuntu Feisty Installation Guide
                  http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                  In Ubuntu Feisty the Composite extension is enabled by default, however, fglrx does not yet support Composite with DRI. In order to disable Composite you have to edit the xorg.conf file:
                  So - AIGLX is on if:
                  1) Hardware/drivers support it
                  2) You haven't disabled it from xorg.conf
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                  X